regional delicacies

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since we are talking about food lately.
what is your regional specially..?

here in the piedmont area it's bbq mainly pulled pork lexington style <vinegar base>
oh yes serve it up with hush puppies collared greens and field beans or coleslaw..yum

and then my dw family who lives in new york has salt raising bread and ring bologna
we are looking forward for our trip this fall, half the trunk will full of both on the way home.mainly the bread.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm.....Texas has so many culinary delights......it would probably have to be slow smoked beef Bar-B-Que and spicy hot chili. Then you get into the different areas of Texas, along the Gulf coast, the seafood is to die for. Along the Louisiana border, Cajun food rules. Mexican food everywhere. Houston has foods from around the world, anything you want and a whole lot you didn't know existed. Texas is a foodie's paradise

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it is chicken and noodles or beef and noodles. Care for neither as not a big noodle fan.

Everyone goes crazy over biscuits and gravy as well.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing I do miss is galileo dry Italian salami
You can not find it out here, before my mom past away she would always
Send 3 big salami's for Christmas

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Sour dough bread! :)

Mary
I've heard about it, so I have to ask Is it as great as everyone says? Does it truly have a different flavor from everyone else's sour dough bread?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
ninnymary said:

Mary
I've heard about it, so I have to ask Is it as great as everyone says? Does it truly have a different flavor from everyone else's sour dough bread?
being a former californian it does make a difference it's all about climate and the mother starter, some bakeries have been feeding their starter culture for over a 100 years
they have some of the cultures in liquid nitrogen just in case the mother dies.

seed if you ever get out to sf during nov and june you need to hit fisherman's wharf and have
a freshly steamed dungeness crab with drawn garlic butter, loaf of sourdough bread and a cold anchor steam beer..

that is pure ambrosia.........

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
majorcatfish said:
seedcorn said:
ninnymary said:

Mary
being a former californian it does make a difference it's all about climate and the mother starter, some bakeries have been feeding their starter culture for over a 100 years
they have some of the cultures in liquid nitrogen just in case the mother dies.

seed if you ever get out to sf during nov and june you need to hit fisherman's wharf and have
a freshly steamed dungeness crab with drawn garlic butter, loaf of sourdough bread and a cold anchor steam beer..

that is pure ambrosia.........
Sounds great major. Odds of me making SF are real small. But my sons g'friend is going there next year. I will send $$ with her to bring some back. Guess I could have some shipped. Guess not real high on priority list but good to know it is worth it--place on bucket list.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, NinnyMary's right. San Francisco SourDough bread is fabulous!

Back when I lived in Montana I thought I'd miss it...but guess what! Safeway has it, even in Montana! What they did not have in Montana though was...

SourDough Pizza... Oh! Now THAT's to die for. There used to be a place on Upper Union Street called P. Sky's Pizza. It's long gone now, but they had sourdough pizza by the slice or by the pizza shaped like a rectangle, not circular. They shaped them like that to fit more in their oven. They always had not just called in orders, but REGULAR daily deliveries.

Kind of found it googling, but I don't get it...is this a 32 year old yellow page?

http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sanfranciscodirectory/1981/1981_245.pdf

I think so. I used to hang out there a lot when I was in the Army band.

NinnyMary probably'd never remember the place. She was just a garden ornament in her mother's eyes back then.

Mary, do you know any new places that make sourdough pizza these days???

Latest posts