Relish Questions

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know that when making dill pickles etc, you have to wait a couple of weeks before eating. Is the same true for pickle relish? Also since getting the canning bug and large pickling cukes are in short supply in the garden, can large slicing cukes be used?

I figure since the cukes get, chopped, salted, squeezed of moisture and then cooked it would not make a big difference. I just hate to see things go to waste this time of year and all sorts of things can be made into a tasty relish.

Any tips would be eagerly tested!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used the large cukes. Since they really got to big to enjoy as slicers. Scooped some of the excess seed out. We did not wait to try it on brats the very next day! It might be better as it ages :idunno Good luck and enjoy. :drool

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Carol!

All the recipes I found said nothing of scooping out the seeds (I did it anyway out of instinct). There are some pretty big Straight 8's out there and it turns out getting the "canning bug" is very satisfying when you see all those jars just waiting to be opened.

Once again thanks for the advice :D

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Carol Dee I took your advice and tasted some of yesterdays batch. We are very pleased with the flavor and i am already concocting new recipes in my head.
:thumbsup
One more question, the base recipe that I am using calls for 1/2 cup of flour to thicken the mixture as it cooks. I noticed some texture from the flour that I would like to avoid. Do you think thickening with cornstarch would work the same?

Thank you! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I eat both as soon as 2 days later... always better as time goes on. :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Am I missing something?? Are you adding flour to pickle relish? I have never heard of such a thing....

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes that's what the recipe called for. It did help to thicken it a bit but it gives the liquid a cloudy appearance that I don't care for.

Future batches wil use corn starch. Never having made relish before I thought it would be best to follow the recipe that I found. I should have know that something was fishy when it said to fill the jars 1/4" from the top, and that the lids won't pop down to seal. It also said after the jars were cool to push down the little bottons on the lids.

I not exactly a newbie to all of this but I KNEW that was wrong. Filling to 3/8"-1/2" from the top works well, and 14 minutes in the water bath.

You can never be too careful when using a new recipe. :)

CarolynF

Sprout
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
Yes that's what the recipe called for. It did help to thicken it a bit but it gives the liquid a cloudy appearance that I don't care for.

Future batches wil use corn starch. Never having made relish before I thought it would be best to follow the recipe that I found. I should have know that something was fishy when it said to fill the jars 1/4" from the top, and that the lids won't pop down to seal. It also said after the jars were cool to push down the little bottons on the lids.

I not exactly a newbie to all of this but I KNEW that was wrong. Filling to 3/8"-1/2" from the top works well, and 14 minutes in the water bath.

You can never be too careful when using a new recipe. :)
Hi,
In answer to your first post, I always wait a couple of months, but obviously eating them early isn't going to hurt, just not as good. Choosing which larger cukes to use depends some on the variety, but for relish it doesn't matter as much. Like an earlier post said, just scoop out the seeds if they're too big and/or watery. I grew 5 varities of cukes this year to help decide which I prefer for slicers and for pickles. The Boston Pickling was pretty bitter but even when very fat the centers stayed firm with tiny seeds. Good for my sliced pickles and relish. I liked Green Slam and Straight Eight for dual purpose, slicing and pickling.

Do you think you'd like that relish without thickening????

I don't water bath pickles or relish because they are very acidic due to the vinegar and I don't have issues with sealing. I do fill to 1/4" from the top with no problem sealing, that's pretty standard for a lot of things. I make sure my jars are very warm, and the contents are very hot when I fill the jars. They always seal within a few minutes.

Keep on canning, it's always better when it's homemade! :)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I make pickles without either flour or corn starch...but do use a little corn starch for Zuc Relish

and any cucumber will do when making pickles large or small...

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips everybody! I'm happy to hear that flavor gets better with time and that we can fill the jars a little more.

Today I was planning in my head next years garden and what to plant for a better supply of relish ingredients. This is not only fun, but very satisfying!

We are having a small party this weekend and we can't wait to sample and share the fruits of the season. Sharing is a big part of gardening for us and pickling the bounty allows that to happen!

Happy Gardening Everybody! :celebrate