Remember These ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used a yellow Scotch Brite and mild soap when I was an auto-body detailer. The blueing should come off pretty easy & you don't want to abrade the tire too much. It'll just hold dirt better down the road (literally! :lol:)
You crack yourself up again1

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to turn my whitewalls inward too...too much trouble to keep them clean and nothing looks worse than a dirty ol' whitewall on a car. If I had a vintage car that never saw much road time, I'd do the whitewalls, though, simply because they were and are and look good that way.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some religions use to frown on white walls-too showy, worldly. So companies for a short while charged more for black walls since everyone wanted the white pin stripe. That didn't like paying more so they had the tires put on inside out. Now the "illegal" tire was legal.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Greetings, Smiley Ford ,named by girls at high school, had a chrome bar grill set under a 1951 hood creating the look of a smile, Smiley a 1949 Ford two door sedan with Frenched headlights, skirts, Mercomatic transmission, chrome window frames, Lowered slightly in the back, glasspack mufflers the exhaust tips, chromed, exiting just in front of the rear wheels. The pant job was Synthitic Enamel specialy mixed color light purple/ blue. Deep blue dash. The painter, Johnie Camarano ,had a booth at Uncle Mike's garage.

Oh, and Appelton teardrop spotlights in the front, turned down on the hood.

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I do have photos of Smiley, but no at our present location. Maybe when we return I'll dig them out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: We, wifey, the girls, wifey's mum visiting from Australia and myself, went to the National Automobile Museum, Reno, Nevada the other day. It is amazing! It is a great part of Harrah's Automobile Collection. It is well worth seeing.

Latest posts