Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
1704152449864.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231231_152312_Chrome.jpg
I looked back at some of my old checkbooks – wondering about that time that I wrote 19__ for the year. If it had been at the start of either 2019 or, maybe 2020, it might be a little understandable. It wasn't then :D.

Sure, it may have been in 2000 (maybe even often that year) but, I mean – it happened only about 5 years ago. So, it was about 15 years into the 21st century!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 63082
I looked back at some of my old checkbooks – wondering about that time that I wrote 19__ for the year. If it had been at the start of either 2019 or, maybe 2020, it might be a little understandable. It wasn't then :D.

Sure, it may have been in 2000 (maybe even often that year) but, I mean – it happened only about 5 years ago. So, it was about 15 years into the 21st century!

i think i'm a few checks short of retiring the last book of pre-printed checks that has the 19__ i write about one a year from that account (and even less now in recent years since the regular payments are happy to do ACH withdrawals instead of having to handle actual checks).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a cartoon of olde people sitting on a couch laughing about being old and no record existing of their youthful transgressions because they were young before there was an internet. Laugh!

of course, this is only partly true. Still, it became a different country and my tendency to lag behind the times must be very apparent to young people. But no, I write a date on paper probably no more than a dozen or so times per year. Getting the year wrong might be "muscle memory" – don't you suppose? Good for a roll in the snow with Snoopy :D.

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is a cartoon of olde people sitting on a couch laughing about being old and no record existing of their youthful transgressions because they were young before there was an internet. Laugh!

of course, this is only partly true. Still, it became a different country and my tendency to lag behind the times must be very apparent to young people. But no, I write a date on paper probably no more than a dozen or so times per year. Getting the year wrong might be "muscle memory" – don't you suppose? Good for a roll in the snow with Snoopy :D.

Steve
I'm stubbornly old school in some areas. I still pay bills with checks through the mail (now with a sharpy marker to foil scammers who could intercept & "wash" my checks) so I'm constantly writing the date, and I only recently upgraded from a flip phone to a smart phone with great reluctance (have it only in case of a roadside emergency). I have a bad attitude toward that phone and make all my calls on the 4 landline phones in my house. No Siri or GPS in my car; I navigate by paper maps.

Yet I have Bitcoin, and Linux on my 2 computers. I pick and choose what technology to get friendly with.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am going to buy my seeds (aGAIN) in the Fall for the next growing season. Even doing this, I discovered that some were out of stock.
I URGE you all to get your seeds ASAP.
Otherwise, my gardening resolution is to document more and keep lists, so I can do the easy things, cross them off, then reward myself for a job well done.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm stubbornly old school in some areas. I still pay bills with checks through the mail (now with a sharpy marker to foil scammers who could intercept & "wash" my checks) so I'm constantly writing the date, and I only recently upgraded from a flip phone to a smart phone with great reluctance (have it only in case of a roadside emergency). I have a bad attitude toward that phone and make all my calls on the 4 landline phones in my house. No Siri or GPS in my car; I navigate by paper maps.

Yet I have Bitcoin, and Linux on my 2 computers. I pick and choose what technology to get friendly with.
You are light years ahead of me! LOL. I still pay bills by check/mail. I also recently (1 month) got a smart phone. That is smarter than me! Only for emergencies and use landline (only 2 phones) Paper maps (I dislike GPS telling me how to navigate!) No Bitcoin and no idea what Linux even is!!!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are light years ahead of me! LOL. I still pay bills by check/mail. I also recently (1 month) got a smart phone. That is smarter than me! Only for emergencies and use landline (only 2 phones) Paper maps (I dislike GPS telling me how to navigate!) No Bitcoin and no idea what Linux even is!!!
We still have a rotary dial phone in the basement. Every now and then just for fun we ask a small child to try to use it to call home. After several attempts at dialing they always stomp away in frustration. So the youth of today may be good with electronics-- but they are incapable of dialing a telephone. ☺️

In terms of resolutions, I am hoping to do a better job of bumping up my seedlings in a timely manner. That may require starting fewer plants, so that I can maintain them efficiently.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... no idea what Linux even is!!!

it is the kernel of an operating system for a computer and an alternative to using Microsoft Windows. you can get it for free. there are a lot of different desktops and other software so that basically you can run a computer without having to subscribe to a company or buy software to do computer related tasks.

Latest posts