Resolutions 2024

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it is the kernel of an operating system for a computer and an alternative to using Microsoft Windows. you can get it for free. there are a lot of different desktops and other software so that basically you can run a computer without having to subscribe to a company or buy software to do computer related tasks.
Ah someone who gets it. Free open source software is the way to go.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We still have a rotary dial phone in the basement. Every now and then just for fun we ask a small child to try to use it to call home. After several attempts at dialing they always stomp away in frustration. So the youth of today may be good with electronics-- but they are incapable of dialing a telephone. ☺️
That is hilarious! It's a reminder that I am older than dirt! There was something so satisfying about dialing a number and using an old manual typewriter and the tk-tk-tk sound of engines in old cars and trucks, but those things belong to a world now gone.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is hilarious! It's a reminder that I am older than dirt! There was something so satisfying about dialing a number and using an old manual typewriter and the tk-tk-tk sound of engines in old cars and trucks, but those things belong to a world now gone.
Yes, they provided a rhythmic accountability of our progress. I miss that too. 😊

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
gardening is what does most of that for me. the routine and habits of a whole season, along with new things always happening and keeping me on my toes.
I think the "hands-on" aspect of those things was a big part of the appeal for me, and gardening does satisfy that as well.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Point made @Rhodie Ranch ! :hide
I Promise not to take it from you!
Honestly, Everything I wanted to make my life better has happened.
I wanted a typewriter that I could correct without correction fluid. I type 95 words/minute.
First, there was a a word processor, then a personal computer. I wanted a small personal computer, and then there was the laptop. I wanted a laptop ever since I worked at a place 30 years ago where the CAB department ALL had laptops, then costing about $5K.
I wanted a gadget to open my car without using the key. I am SURE everybody here has one of those.
I wanted a tv with a BIIIIIGGGG screen that I could control from my LR chair. done
Mine is 55 inch (I think.) It's pretty big, but it doesn't take up the whole wall, but I have seen THAT, too.
The resolution is A M A Z I N G, and DH and I are enjoying watching movies from our library on it and catching details we could only see in the movie theater. Mine memorizes our choices, but it's not that irritating.
Ever since I saw a friend's hacked internet, which was from several different cities, aGAIN, 30 years ago...I wanted that, too. I still have satellite tv, but I am ready to start using streaming the way that DD's do it, too.
and I still DVR a LOT of programs/movies to watch later, and THAT is really convenient.
It took the industry going to texting for me to get a smart phone. What it does is remembers your personal choices.
I text ALL OF THE TIME now, and, since I send the same message to loan signers, I get a menu that makes the text go really fast.
Sometimes I have to fight "autocorrect", but there is a way around that, too.
We have had a family cell phone ever since 1987. I used to keep my horses at a farm. I had a landline phone for emergencies, but the farmer kept running over and cutting my line. Still love that bag phone.
The newest I phone/Samsung doesn't thrill me and I often marvel at the people I have seen on a cruise ship who hold their phone over the railing to take a picture. Pricy, if you drop it. I don't even take my phone out to the barn, unless I have a bag to carry it in, and even then I will keep it in my grain room so that no animal breaks it.
I have bought all computers/printers for our office and home. I have 2 scanners/copiers in my upstairs office.
I ALWAYS wanted to be able to "xerox" stuff at home!
I am Still old school.
I still use paper calendars. I even got DD's to start using a meal planning calendar that is a pad with rip off sheets and magnets on the back. It was gathering dust in my office stuck on my 4 drawer filing cabinet. We have enough sheets for several years.
DH has me buy him a special pocket calendar which I have to buy by October of every year bc the court calendar starts early to fill in for January of the next year. It is 3" x 6", bound (bc metal edging rips up his suit pockets) has a 2 page work week for appointments, and the bottom RH corner rips off with a serrated edge so that you can find where you are. THIS year it was nearly $50, after taxes and S & H. Only one place carries it.
DH does his own business books with a ledger with paper sheets and he does double entry with a pencil.
No power surge ever deletes it.
DH's associate keeps ALL calendars on her phone and she misses appointments.
I have quite a few partial notepads and I like to use them to make short to do lists. It helps me to remember what I need to do it I write it out. I prefer an Ultra Fine Sharpie, maybe bc it's easier to see.
Ha, ha!! I went to a smaller town to get my new driver's license and the lady at the DMV sorta fudged bc I don't think that I read the last 2 letters right!!! In 4 years I will need contacts. which are aNOTHER invention I wanted when I was a kid.
I have the same car as DH, Toyota Avalon. Mine is the older one, 2012, and his is the newer one, 2021.
The dealership were bent out of shape bc we wouldn't trade in the old one 2 years ago.
His has features that can be set, like the one where you set the cruise and it tracks the car in front of you, so you don't have to take it off to follow somebody slower.
Mine doesn't.
Both have front heated seats. I LLLLOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE my heated seats and sometimes I use it when the weather is warmer, too. ANOTHER invention I wanted to see when I was a kid.
I think there is a happy medium.
I, too, love to bury my hands in the dirt when I garden.

Last edited:

Latest posts