retirement..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally did it....
After 24 years and 21 days and 2 hours. I had enough packed my tool box and personal stuff and handed in my keys and cards and just walked out...
A little history worked for piedmont truck tires since 1999 wonderful company excellent owner, he knew every ones name and treated you like family. he decided to retire and sold the company march 1st 2022.
the new owner all I can say is he lied from the first word that came out of his mouth. after 18 months i had enough.
have never seen a company run so poorly.. working for amazon scrubbing toilets would be a dream job compared to them.

It was the best thing I could have done for the family and myself, mentally and physicality. dw mentioned that I have became a much happier person to be around and supports my decision. working on getting all the documentation needed for the s.s. administration to get my benefits started.

Looking for a little part time job to keep me busy, but for now just putzing around the property doing long overdue chores and playing with the dogs..

there will be no more of this every morning....
330760382_740824614097847_561810747679597525_n.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
congrats. i had that happen to me too at the last job. it took me several years to get over it.

you have a ton of skills that would come in handy for any company but i don't know what the licensing requirements are for your state as far as offering them professionally as like a handy-man or trouble shooter. good luck. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
congrats+1

I spent about 20 years working full-time, plus another 2 on projects. When I finally wrapped up all those tasks, it felt like a weight off my shoulders. Time is the most valuable thing in my pocket, so now, I'm not keen on giving it away for anything that doesn't really deserve it.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided to retire a few months early from a company that I loved, because my DW was deathly afraid I'd bring Covid home with me. That turned out to be a good decision, because 2021 was our last year together, and I'm glad I was able to spend all of it by her side. Our time on earth is too short, and too precious, to waste it on anything that does not bring happiness to those we love... and those who love us are miserable seeing us miserable.

Congratulations, @majorcatfish , on your retirement; you won't regret it. You are free now to concentrate on filling the love bank to overflowing - it is time well spent. :hugs

I've gone back to work part time, just a seasonal job. Not because I need the money (although with the holidays coming, it won't hurt) but because with the garden done, I need something to keep me busy & provide some social interaction. And if the Almighty chooses to grace me with love again, that won't happen sitting at home.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've gone back to work part time, just a seasonal job. Not because I need the money (although with the holidays coming, it won't hurt) but because with the garden done, I need something to keep me busy & provide some social interaction. And if the Almighty chooses to grace me with love again, that won't happen sitting at home.
Same here, and this is also the reason I decided to open a small shop as a mean for engaging with the locals. :D

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've seen things go south for others when a company changed hands or went through some other sort of transformation enough to know that few people can be assured of a stress-free work place up until retirement. Probably those who can are either working in a union plant or else self-employed, and even those jobs can have their own problems. Leaving a bad employer is the wisest choice. Enjoy your retirements, all of you who have made this choice!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After 33 years I was so very fortunate to qualify for early retirement, when Covid forced my company to reduce its workforce unexpectedly-- and on very short notice. You had to be 55 to take advantage of the generous offer, which was made one week after my 55th birthday. It was like hitting the jackpot. They will bridge my pension for 10 years, and while I didn't work quite long enough to earn a full pension I am more than content to spend my days puttering in the garden instead of going to work. It's wonderful! So congratulations and best wishes for a happy retirement Majorcatfish-- I hope you enjoy every minute! 😍

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After 33 years I was so very fortunate to qualify for early retirement, when Covid forced my company to reduce its workforce unexpectedly-- and on very short notice. You had to be 55 to take advantage of the generous offer, which was made one week after my 55th birthday. It was like hitting the jackpot. They will bridge my pension for 10 years, and while I didn't work quite long enough to earn a full pension I am more than content to spend my days puttering in the garden instead of going to work. It's wonderful!
Talk about good timing! You were in the right place at the right time for sure.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are going to LOVE retirement. You have already had a good start. Enjoy. Maybe it is time to make another cross-country trip. Bring the Misses this time. :) Wanna start some bees. DH will be glad to give you advice. (Yes, he loves to give advice!)

Latest posts