Reusable canning lids yes they are out there

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm glad to have someone else admit to reusing the "one time only" metal lids. Are you saying you reuse them when you use your foodsaver for nuts, etc. Or for actual canning too? I'm not going to reuse my lids anymore, you all are so good at encouraging people to can the right way, and follow the directions, that i decided to buy new EVERY TIME. I dont do that much canning, jellies and salsa and dill green beans mostly, that its not that much money, and not worth taking the risk.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
sweetmissdaisy said "If you have a foodsaver and don't have the jar attachments, I highly recommend them!! Put them on your Christmas wish list... or better yet, just order them. They're not expensive! "

These are on my Christmas list! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
I'm glad to have someone else admit to reusing the "one time only" metal lids. Are you saying you reuse them when you use your foodsaver for nuts, etc. Or for actual canning too? I'm not going to reuse my lids anymore, you all are so good at encouraging people to can the right way, and follow the directions, that i decided to buy new EVERY TIME. I dont do that much canning, jellies and salsa and dill green beans mostly, that its not that much money, and not worth taking the risk.
I save the "1 time only" lids to reuse for things I just throw in the fridge. Like I made sun dried tomatoes and the jars are in the fridge, some with EVO and some without. I use the old lids rather then waste new ones. The old lids also make nice garden markers and labels for cuttings and plants I have going on out on the deck. I really hate throwing them away.... but I'd hate to reuse them and have a wasted jar of food even more.

I really do want these reusable lids! On my Christmas list for sure!!!

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If you have a foodsaver and don't have the jar attachments, I highly recommend them!! Put them on your Christmas wish list... or better yet, just order them. They're not expensive! :)

Aren't these just the best!!!! I love my vaccuum sealer!

dinkadoo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Saw the tattler lids in Mast General Store in the NC mountains this past week. Didn't get any though.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Metal canning lids I use only ONE time when doing actual canning. They are marked as "used", and kept in a container for storage away from my NEW unused lids.

For vacuum sealing, I use metal lids over and over and have never had any lose a seal.

I also use "used" lids (ones that have been used once to hot seal a jar) for things I keep in the fridge (leftovers) and jars I use in the cupboards for quick storage. Oh, and in my craft room on jars for buttons, twine, etc. :)

But I never ever use lids that have been previously used for canning when I'm putting up canned goods. Only new lids get used for that process. *Well, unless they're the re-usable variety!* :)

Latest posts