Reusable tomato cages

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the tomato cages I use. The pipe is sched 40 1/2 inch plastic wiring conduit. It's a lot cheaper than water pipe. The fittings are pipe tees. I don't glue the joints, just put them together like tinkertoys. I space the uprights at 14 inches but you can use whatever dinensions you like. You can go as high as you want to but if you go more than a couple of feet be sure to sink the bottom deep in the soil so it won't blow over. At the end of the season you can just knock it apart and store it for next year. Prices at home depot as I write this are just under $1 for a 10 foot length of electrical conduit and $.21 per tee if you buy in bags of 10.
BILLY

6858_001_-_copy.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is a fabulous idea! :ya I must show this to my husband the handyman. He loves things from his builder world when they fit into my gardening. Gives us a chance to share our passion. :D :watering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Storing tomato cages is THE big problem with them.

I used to use livestock fencing rolled in cylinders. So, who wants to sit around and look at those things in the off-season?

The neighbor uses the concrete reinforcement wire - it rusts and looks even worse. He's got a big pile of them with weeds growing around and thru.

The folding wire cages are really expensive.

I've let the tomatoes s p r a w l, the last few years but I could go for Tinkertoys!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You get a lot of rot and creepy crawler damage when they sprawl and they take an awful lot of garden room.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You haven't seen my "stone mulch" . . .

Hey, I wonder if I could use rocks for tomato cages . . . . . nah.

digitS'

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Really cool. I'll try some. Does that PVC bend easily. I need some to make hoops for my raised beds.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Really cool. I'll try some. Does that PVC bend easily. I need some to make hoops for my raised beds.
The conduit bends a lot easier than water pipe, especially if you run some hot water through it. It isn't as sturdy as water pipe but If you are only using it for raised beds strength isn't that big a deal. I'd go with water pipe on full size greenhouses.

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We made hoops for one bed this year using old hula hoops. They worked great (and very colorful as well).