Rhodie Ranch 2022 Garden

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been a member here since 2009. That's a long time! I've never posted a garden journal however. Lets get this party going!

I moved from So Oregon to So Washington over the last two months. The garden and chicken coop were here. I quickly purchased store bought plants and ordered some last min bareroot asparagus. The only thing I started by seed were artichokes from Baker Creek.

The previous owner had these concrete blocks set up already. Now, I personally built concrete block raised beds in Murphys (Murphys Ranch) back in 09 and 10. They were a terrible choice due to the very very hot weather that the Sierra Foothills get. I'm hope that these blocks are going to be better as I'm two states north and this place gets more rain in the fall, winter and spring.

After languishing for over a month, and then suffering thru 100 plus heat for over a week, the plants are starting to grow.
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG

See this next photo? In the far left corner are @Zeedman walking onions. Zeed: I simply plunked Elena's onions for the season. I can do better when I expand the garden this winter.
IMG_1192.JPG

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The previous owners built a fancy chicken coop but sold their chickens cus they didn't think any buyer would want them. UGH. So hubs and I need to do a better job of digging down the fencing below ground, adding more security to the top and then cover, due to Bird Flu still being found here. I also want to get some ducks, as my SIL can only eat duck eggs.
IMG_1191.JPG

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are up a hill with fab views, yet only 20 min to the Columbia River. See those mountains in the very far distance? That's Oregon, where some of Oregon's land comes up alongside the state of Washington, but separated by the river.

This is a 1974 home, that the previous owners gutted and remodeled. Yes, we could have done that too, and have done many of our homes over the years. But hubs was diag with the beginning of dementia so I'm not going down that road anymore. The previous owners pulled 8 - 9 humongous
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
fir trees, creating a huge bare bank. Which has drainage problems. We are going to replant some firs and then terrace it. Its got constant run off down the gravel driveway.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've planted blueberries and some thornless raspberries. We brought over 2 doz plants with us from So OR. Some were Japanese Maples in pots that are years old, some were dug up and transported, and some were things waiting for a home somewhere. Water is much less expensive up here, so it was time to trim off some of my fav plants from the bill down there, and bring them up! See the two eggplants in the bucket? They were volunteers from the previous garden and I'm thinking they are @Zeedman eggplants he mailed me seeds for .
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1194.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very fussy about weeds in that garden, eh?

I had trouble with blocks and weeds at one garden. It was a wall about 50+ feet long and I planted petunias that I had grown from seed in every-other hole. That helped for that season and looked good, however, it sure required a lot of plants.

Are some of the remaining evergreen trees in the pictures on your property? The deciduous are probably oaks, right? And, the field beyond the barbwire fence? It all looks real good and I'm pleased that you are sharing your views, Rhodie' :)!

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve: there aren't any weeds to be had! Doesn't rain enuf this summer to get weeds. A bit of grass and finally some of that weed (name escapes me) that we should eat in our salads. Kinda puffy stuff. That's it! Its like barren!! But our acreage field has weeds, lots of two diff types of clover, some blackberry starts, etc. Hubs has mowed it four times since May.

That huge long gray building sits on what used to be a hay field. Its not even mowed. Just abandoned. But neighbors do grow hay, and @farmerjan has taught me alot about that process. The street infront of the gray building is a major 2 lane thoroughfare. Noisy for me, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The previous owners built a fancy chicken coop but sold their chickens cus they didn't think any buyer would want them. UGH. So hubs and I need to do a better job of digging down the fencing below ground, adding more security to the top and then cover, due to Bird Flu still being found here. I also want to get some ducks, as my SIL can only eat duck eggs.
If that ground is very rocky you might consider an apron instead of digging the fence down. That's where you lay about 12" to 18" horizontal toward the outside and attach it to the bottom of the fence so nothing can get through. I use J-clips or hog rings to attach it.

The idea is that a digging predator comes up to the fence, tries to dig, hits the fencing, and does not know to back up. It also keeps the chickens from sneaking out under the fence if you have a low spot. I bury mine about 2", which for me means the turf. Not sure how easy that will be for you. That keeps it out of the way or weed eaters and such. Works to keep dogs in too if you point it in.

This might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you want to get ducks for you SIL that are egg laying machines ... get the Khacki Cambell ducks as they are the most prolific egg layers that even surpass the White Leghorn chicken. Years ago, I purched a dozen split run ducklings but kept a trio ( 2 hens and a drake) the rest we ate... top notch fare ! Man oh man , these ducks are in fact an egg factory. :weee:celebrate:bow :drool