Rhodie Ranch 2022 Garden

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch Did you wind up picking your squash? I just received a reply from Adaptive Seed about how to tell when winter squash (especially Gill's Golden Pippin) are ready to pick, and thought you might like to hear the answer:

Winter squash can be harvested when the color seems right (yellow for Gill's!) and the skins start to toughen up a bit- they shouldn't feel like a summer squash- as the skin thickens up to provide protection for storage.
Keep in mind too, that many winter squashes will get sweeter in storage. So if after harvesting, you don't find them to be as sweet as you would like, then just give them some more time in storage. October is really the shining star month for harvesting winter squash (dependent on location of course!), so keep that in mind too!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is why Native Americans grew them, for winter storage and eating. Btw, My neck of woods is one of the biggest pumpkin growing areas in our country.
I thoroughly enjoy pumpkin. Pealing is a problem but @flowerbug told me too bake it first so I will next time. I just love it in soup all my animals love it too

Latest posts