Rhododendron

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Its beautiful! I think I should move mine. I have 3 that are not doing well at all. :(
vfem,

The difference between the two locations is that on the lawn it got mostly sun, where I moved it it got shade for several hours a day. I am not sure it that is why it improved, but that is the only difference I can think of.
Jack B

luis_pr

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say that it likes the water draining away faster than before. Over here, it would be the shade... afternoon shade is a must for me. I stick with the azaleas to get the rebloomers but you know what... I would prefer that they rebloom faster than they currently do. I have had some native azaleas (R.austrinum) and recommend them if they will work in your zone. Your rhodie is definitely telling that it is a happy camper anyways. Enjoy those blooms and keep taking pictures, Jack!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few years ago we had a rhododendron that was not doing well on the lawn by the property line. Rather than toss it I moved it to the back of the property, on a hill, thinking that it would not do well there either, because the water drains away quickly. Well, I was wrong, it made an amazing comeback and is now more than six feet tall and almost as wide front to back. Sometimes I don't mind being wrong. :rolleyes:

Jack B

A similar thing happened to me once. A friend of mine gave me some purple mum's for my birthday and I enjoyed them in the house for a good long while. Then they started looking really tired and like they were dying so I planted them in my garden just for the heck of it and they ended up rebounding with more blooms than before and in that same year! I was so pleasantly surprised!

Blowerat

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Wow, that's a pleasant surprise! Nature has its way of proving us wrong sometimes. Your rhododendron's comeback is impressive, and it must be quite a sight now. Mother Nature works in mysterious ways! 🌿🌺😊

Latest posts