Rhubarb problems

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Do you live close to a farm field? I wonder if your rhubarb has suffered from field poison?
I live in IL, and I have subdivided several rhubarb plants. They "liked" the first location, but are loving the newest beds, which are full sun. In fact, I let 3 of them go to seed, just bc I wanted to see the stalks, although I broke them off and dropped the stalks and seeds into the beds, just to see what will happen.
Perhaps you have too much shade? Too much water?
Also, I, too plant in first year compost. BUT, some plants prefer very well rotted manure/compost to thrive. My newest beds with rhubarb get amended every late summer, when I dig up tulip bulbs in them, and cover with compost. Years of this has created richer soil. Just a thought.

Mystang89

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks. I do love right next to a field and that could be a possibility. I told my wife that I'm going to dig up one of the two, (provided I get some time) and pot it so I can control the environment is in just to see what info I can get.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are you certain that your rhubarb plants have died? I'm not sure what variety I have, but mine have lived in my perennial bed for nearly a decade. They spring up early in the summer each year and I harvest some stalks. Then the leaves turn red and wither, much like the leaves in your photo, and the plants appear to die back. In fact they more or less disappear in mid and late summer, but come back renewed the following spring. For whatever it's worth, I'm in zone 4, and my rhubarb is in full sun.

Latest posts