Rhubarb- what to do with it?

luv2cook

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got this recipe out of Cooking Light. Its soooo good and most stuff I had in my kitchen. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream and it will just make you smile. Hope you like it...

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
4 cups (1-inch-thick) slices rhubarb (about 1 pound)
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Place butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add 2/3 cup granulated sugar; beat until well blended. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and egg, beating well. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until smooth.

Combine rhubarb and remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon batter over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Mosquito

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I was I kid my mom would cook it down with a lot of sugar then add cinnamon red hots to it while it was still warm.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The best pie I ever made and ate was a strawberry and rhubarb. Unbeliveably and surprisingly delicious. I think I will try luv2cook's receipe here......you have awakened my pie thoughts....

Anne

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is a recipe that everyone that has tried it loves it.

Rhubarb dessert

4 cups rhubarb- cut into chunks
1 3oz package of Raspberry Jello
1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup nuts
1/4 cup butter

Grease 9x13 pan. Put rhubarb in the bottom spread evenly. Take the dry cake mix, dry jello, sugar and water and sprinkle over top of rhubarb. Melt the butter and pour over top of mixture. Top with nuts and coconut.

Bake at 350 F for 1 hour. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Sorry I can't type in recipes right now (the kids are crazy :p) but my favorite rhubarb uses are things like pie (obviously), rhubarb cobbler, strawberry-rhubarb jam, ginger-rhubarb marmalade, or just chopped small and cooked up with a little sugar and water to make a sauce to put over vanilla icecream.

Pat
Put that sauce over angel food cake, too - it's to die for!

Latest posts