Rhubarb

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love rhubarb. There is nothing better than rhubarb pie... Unless it's rhubarb jam (and don't spoil it by adding strawberries, please!) I've wanted to grow it for a long time but it never got cold enough where I used to live. Now that I live somewhere that actually has seasons other than warm, hot, and slightly less warm; I bought some rhubarb roots and am anxious to get them going. Any advice for me on placement and care of my precious rhubarb roots?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned the hard way not to plant them too near my horseradish!

They don't like soggy feet, need adequate drainage in the soil. Sunny spot. Keep the weeds at bay. Mulch 'em, but don't let it touch the crowns. Amend the soil well with compost.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember them being extremely hardy. We had them when I was a kid growing up in Alaska. I haven't had decent rhubarb in years. Can't wait!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love strawberry rhubarb anything.
I have a pretty good stand of rhubarb and I bought about a dozen more crowns the other day.
Last year I had 4 growing in a large container but that must have been too confining as they didn't do too well and I'm not sure they survived the winter.
Did I mention???
I love strawberry rhubarb anything.

THANX RICH

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They love good rich soil, with good drainage (like Journey said) but you pretty much can't kill them.

A few years back I made a fenced garden area (originally a 32x32 dog run for our big dogs) into a chicken pen, I was going to transplant the rhubarb, but it was huge, the day was hot and it wasn't going to come out easily. So I used the pick, and basically demolished it, then hauled it off to the long term compost pile. Every year
it grows bigger, with no water, no nothing. Crazy thing!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I divided 3 - 2 year old rhubarb " Victoria" plants into 51 1 gallon pots ... all survived ... I donated them to the WSU master gardener for next month's plant sale.

Latest posts