RICE! I wanna grow it where and how please?

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to try growing rice, where can i get the seed? can i just use a bag of store bought rice? How do i grow it?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think your best bet with rice is to call the cooperative extension in your area they probably have all kinds of info on rice growing

white rice in the store has nothing but starch no germ or husk so ...no it will not grow

I have no idea about whole brown rice you could plant a piece and see get a little handful from the healthfood store bulk section

I know Louisiana and South Carolina rice so maybe you can get info there?

good luck in your rice paddy

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes call your cooperative extension office and see if they can hook you up with some rice seed. Also there are several places online where I have seen rice seed available.

In general rice doesn't require the "paddy" to grow. Growing rice in a flooded soil is mainly for weed control.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thank you guys, as always, very helpful group here, i have a natural spring that runs out of my property and creates a steam as it goes off my property. I am debating making a controlable dam and creating my own "rice paddy". sound fun? any ideas?

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
good idea, thx for reminding me, ill do that before i start the project, look for it

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gazinga said:
I want to try growing rice, where can i get the seed? can i just use a bag of store bought rice? How do i grow it?
Now theres a challenge. I would think this would be great for a soggy part of ones garden. Keep us posted. :frow

Latest posts