RIP Whitey

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
REST IN PEACE Whitey Beloved chicken and Mother Hen

Have you ever experienced a great hen?? We raised a group of poults and one of them rose to be the head of the pecking order not buy force but by intelligence. She was white and my (then) young son named her Whitet. She has ruled the roost for many years with a kind hand. Instead of pecking it has been thinking, thus we have not had brutalized hens in our no-males henhouse.

Whitey would join us in the henhouse whenever we entered to gather eggs and manage the house. She expected a handful of corn, pecking it from our hand, ever so gently. If w neglected her, she;d hover next to us, finally giving us a gentle peck on the leg to remind that she was there. Broody hens were tolerated but managed by Whitey but when their welcome was worn out she'd urge thm back into the flock with a morning peck. Whitey was a faithful layer even in her later years.

We loved Whitey. I expect that only you guys would understand the relationship between a farmer/homeowner and their chickens. Whitey died recently of old age -- she was at least 9 years old, ancient for a chicken -- and she is missed. The other hens have not begun establishing a new pecking order, so faithful were they to Whitey. When I walk into the henhouse, I still expect her to come to me, waiting for her corn.

Have you had am animal that had such an impact?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a parakeet for nearly 12 years; quite old for a tiny caged bird. Of course, he wasn't really caged. His cage door was open all the time, but he did not abuse his freedom. He has been gone about 3 years, but I still sometimes expect to hear him chirp at me when I open the kitchen door. I didn't have a bad thing I could say about Petey. He was perfect in every way. I miss him, and I empathise with you for the loss of Whitey. I love that we get so attached to our critters, but it sure hurts when they pass on.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, i recently lost my Raven. a crazy cross of polish with something else..maybe silkie or houdan since she had 5 toes on each foot and black legs too. looked like a polish with her crest but it never bushed out over her eyes so she could see everything going on! i could always tell where she was at with her strange grunt sounding buk buk buk when i would walk into the coop or my garage during the winter months. she would try to dive bomb me from the top of the coop if i had treats in my hand just so she could beat the others to what i had. then she would call to the others so they would get their share. if i wasn't paying attention to her when i was doing stuff in the coop i would always feel a tug at my pant leg and turn to see her looking up at me going 'where's my hand held treat?'

one of my neighbors always liked calling over to her and watching her pace the coop run fence during the afternoons looking for me when i would come home. i'll miss her. i wish i had tried to hatch some of her eggs this winter. just afraid of what roo they would have been crossed with.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our first two hens were a pair of retired battery hens named Stella and Barbarella. (think about it). They had a rough life until they came here, where they were allowed to wander around the yard and patio. They stayed together like a matched set and often showed up at the screen door if they wanted a treat. Stella provided us with her last egg a few days after she got her. Both old gals died of old age a couple years after we got them. By then, I'm pretty sure Barbarella was nearly blind. Those two ladies taught us how companionable chickens can be.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your Whitey sounds so much like my Goldie! She is such a doll. However many new chicks and pullets we throw at her, she always rules with a gentle touch. I never thought I could be so in love with a chicken- I kept telling myself that they are only for eggs. But they are more than that, they are like little family members. I am so sorry for your loss, keep your chin up. It will get better with time and always know she blessed you with so many good memories. :hugs

Latest posts