Ripoff ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess my friends are as cheap as I am. Nope! Not $9.00 for a cup of coffee. Wine, yes. I'd go higher for a good wine, but I am merely a social drinker when it comes to coffee -- I could easily live without it -- and can't drink the heavy ratio of coffee grounds to water most places offer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was some research done a few years ago on internet use at coffee shops.

The average length of time for customer use was right at one hour.

I imagine that the trend is towards more minutes, not less.

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I only skimmed this thread, so sorry if this has already been said.
I have a lot of chickens and sell eggs for $3/dozen, which is fairly common around here. I used to think the $5 -$6 farmers market price was outrageous, until I looked into selling my eggs through a local CSA.

You must buy liability insurance ($300 - $600 dollars per year). And if you want to actually set up a booth in the farmer's market, there is a hefty yearly fee, a requirement to attend so many meetings per year, and of course, you need to sit there for several hours so you are giving up your time. And if someone is paying for organic feed, that adds another cost.

When you buy those eggs at the farmer's market, you are not just paying for eggs, but for eggs, insurance, someone's time, membership fees, and production cost. I'd rather feed my excess eggs back to the chickens than go through all the hassle, but I no longer feel like those high prices are a ripoff.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of chickens and sell eggs for $3/dozen, which is fairly common around here. I used to think the $5 -$6 farmers market price was outrageous, until I looked into selling my eggs through a local CSA.

You must buy liability insurance ($300 - $600 dollars per year). And if you want to actually set up a booth in the farmer's market, there is a hefty yearly fee, a requirement to attend so many meetings per year, and of course, you need to sit there for several hours so you are giving up your time. And if someone is paying for organic feed, that adds another cost.

When you buy those eggs at the farmer's market, you are not just paying for eggs, but for eggs, insurance, someone's time, membership fees, and production cost. I'd rather feed my excess eggs back to the chickens than go through all the hassle, but I no longer feel like those high prices are a ripoff.

Thanks @buckabucka , that's what this discussion needed was some input from someone with firsthand knowledge of the reasons behind
someone else's actions. :)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

We sell our eggs in from the porch and have a sign in the front, I had no idea about all of these extra costs (if you sell through a farmer's market or CSA). I guess that the insurance kind of goes without saying. But the farmer doesn't get any sort of freedom to change the prices around a little bit by himself/herself? I plan on selling through a farmer's market eventually and even though it might hurt me financially one of my motives/goals for selling is going to be providing organic high-quality food to the public. I mean I wouldn't be selling watermelons for $1 a piece (as an example), but I would want to sell at a relatively cheap price - you're saying that I wouldn't have the freedom to do that?

Like Thistle said, it's nice to hear from somebody with some kind of experience.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I may not always agree with seed obsessor but I do take issue with those who disagree with him and immediately attack him because of his age. I am glad he has an opinion on more than fashion and television as is with most people his age.

Thank you! I've been going through a lot lately and you've just brightened up my day, I needed that! :D

It honestly drives me crazy when the only thing that people have to talk about is TV.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Living in a high cost living area just has higher prices. When everyone is selling eggs or coffee for exorbitant high prices that becomes the norm. Your income is also higher which enables you to pay the higher prices. I am very frugal and informed but I willingly (my choice) pay for grass fed beef when on sale or organics when they are on sale even though they are higher than conventional ones. No one forces me to do it so I don't feel ripped off. But I do resent people telling me that I am when it's non of their business how I choose to spend my money.

I also hate to see SeedO attacked. If he's around 16-17 yrs. old and we are in our 50's-60's. shouldn't we be the matured ones and show some respect?

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedo, check the rules on the different Farmer's Markets in your area. Some of the ones around here are fairly laid back with minimal rules, thought the State has some requirements. One Farmer's Market is pretty rigid. They tell you how much you have to charge and won't let you dramatically drop prices at closing to get rid of your inventory. They charge a fair amount for a spot and have some promotions to make it an event, like bringing pets from the pound for adoption, provide music by local groups, or have kids perform. They also have a lot to say about how you can set up. They don't have a shortage of vendors and they have a lot of customers.

Not every Farmer's Market in this county is the same by a long shot, let alone across the country.