roasted tomato sauce -- EASY EASY EASY :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you want a puree-style tomato sauce with excellent flavor, and don't want to do much work (<me, raising hand :p>) and don't have one of those Victorio strainer thingies that automatically removes skins and seeds, try this (out of an Organic Gardening magazine issue from about 8 yrs ago):

ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Wash tomatoes well and twist off stem part.

Cut any bad spots out of tomatoes; sound ones can be left whole.

Place in single close-packed layer in roasting pan (NOT baking sheet - it needs to have a good deep rim).

[Here the recipe says 'toss with olive oil, s + p' I didn't, no loss]

Roast in oven 3-4 hrs til tomatoes are reduced in size by 1/3 or so and starting to get a little toasty on top.

Remove and run thru food mill to produce puree.

[Feed skins and seeds left in food mill to chickens!]

I saved the clear liquid from the pan separately - did not put in with food mill puree - and used elsewhere, but if you want a wetter puree you could run it through.

Recipe says freeze; you could make a lot of it and can it, though, I'm sure, although I'd suggest acidulating it.

24 small to medium tomatoes (2-3" across) made 3 c sauce for me.

It came out wonderfully, and with some herbs and suchlike will make excellent spaghetti sauce.

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds really good!!! Thanks for sharing it, Pat. I may try it with store-bought tomatoes, but I am definitely going to save the recipe for that imaginary day when my garden has an over-abundance of tomatoes. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know... it makes we wish I haven't been putting all my tomatoes in every sauce I make, and on every sandwich I have because I'm low on tomatoes now! LOL

It looks soooooooooooooooo yummy though!!!!!! :)

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pat, this sounds wonderful! We roast a bushel of tomatoes every fall and then keep them in the freezer for this and that, but making sauce just gets me one step closer to dinner. I'm going to try is!

Thanks a million!

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
although I'd suggest acidulating it.
This sounds wonderful! What is "acidulating"? I'm assuming it means to reduce the acid content somehow. How do you do it?
Thanks for a "must try" recipe!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sunnychooks said:
This sounds wonderful! What is "acidulating"? I'm assuming it means to reduce the acid content somehow. How do you do it?
Like they now suggest you do for rregular canned tomatoes or tomato sauce - you just put in a little bit of bottled lemon juice, or citric acid. An up to date canning book will have amounts (sorry, I have a sleeping child on my lap right now or I'd look it up for you), it's something like a Tbsp per quart? Just to make SURE they are acid enough to be botulism-proof.

Have fun,

Pat

Latest posts