Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds.

Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down. For each layer, spritz with a decent quality olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste), 2 tablespoons oregano, 2 tablespoons thyme, (you may substitute Italian herb seasoning), and 1 cup of chopped onions. Depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan.

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle

Let them cool a little, then remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point. Put the tomato meat into an 8 quart pot.

Crush tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Add 1 pound of cooked Italian sausage and 1 cup of wine (red or white).

Adjust your spices to suit your taste (we add about 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper at this point).

Simmer for about 45 minutes and you're ready to eat!!! Two roasting pans will yield about 7 quarts of finished sauce. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for steering me to this post. I don't have enough plants to do much with but last year my church let us have tomatoes. I ended up with over 100 pounds that I mostly froze and some that I gave away. Maybe they will have more this year or I can buy a couple of bushels. I have a electric roaster that I would probably use instead of the oven.