Robots

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I notice that this site posts how many members are currently on line, how many visitors are on line, AND HOW MANY ROBOTS. So are robots sites trying to post unsolicited ads? Curious and curiouser.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Usually it means search engine spiders that are crawling the site to add to their directories. Sites like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. We REALLY REALLY like these spiders since they get our site in front of peeps that search for stuff like "how do I plant peanuts in northern California?" :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I probably found TEG because of a Robot Spider then.

Before I knew about TEG I was looking for a source for Gaspe Flint Corn on Google, and Thistle's post about Gaspe Flint Corn came up on my Google search.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, when we start a new thread, it is more helpful to be specific is the title? Such as "Large green fuzzy worm on Roses" rather than "Rose Problems"

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It gets my attention a lot better when I am deciding which threads to open, not so much on this forum but I don't pay much attention on the chicken forum to a thread titled "HELP!".

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Search engine algorithms, the way they do their calculating, seem to have a lot to do with what and how you type in your search.

rose diseases

rose diseases and pests

And then, when it gets to being too many words for the algorithm, it changes by dropping some of them, or separating them.

rose diseases and pests in california

that one suddenly starts doing sites about california.

So I guess that if you want to be search engine friendly with your post, keep it simple and somewhat unique.

rose problems <<< Like that in the google search box has 633 million results.

"rose problems" <<<Like that with the quote marks has 13,800 results

"rose problems in california" <<<Like that in quote marks has 1 single result!

rose problems in california <<< without quote marks has 571 Million results!

That does NOT mean make your post title in quote marks!

The reason the search found only 1 single result when made with the quote marks is, only one result had those exact words in that exact order.

Without the quote marks the search found millions of results because some algorithm found some PARTIAL combinations of those words in millions of pages.

=====

Then, if you want your post to be found in a search engine, make the title be like a person searching would type it in.

=====

I'm sure there is a better way to say what I just said. Complicated things make me use that modern human part of my brain, while the Neanderthal side of my brain is laughing about it!

Ya gotsta see the humor of it. :)

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Modern human part? I just have to old human part. We have our teenager on retainer. We pay him $20.00 a month to help us make the computer do what we need it to do. Well, actually, he does that for free. We pay him to stop doing the face palms and eye rolls.

Latest posts