Rocket, aka Arugula, Do you grow it?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to. Many salad seed mixes contain it. It is a vigorous grower and can kind of take over it you let it. I thinned it out so the others could grow better.

We all have our own tastes and preferences. My wife liked it, I thought the flavor was too strong. I think it's one you should try growing yourself, either you like it or you don't. I think it helps to use only the very young tender leaves. You can get a lot of worm food out of the older leaves.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm very inclined towards @Ridgerunner 's opinion - too strong! Different tastes. I have a friend in Colorado who says, "I don't like any green, too bitter!"

She loves to garden, used to have a career at a garden center until she flew the coop (literally, after a divorce she joined the airline industry). I wonder if she has ever eaten mache, mildest green imaginable.

Mustard greens are about as strongly flavored as I can go. Always believed Mom that greens were a healthy food. I'd try to slide under the table at dinnertime. "Eat half of them." That helped but I kinda needed to discover what was grown in other countries and uncommon in American gardens in the 1950's. (Okay, I doubt if Mom ever ate arugula. ;).)

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. I remember a conversation on here a few years ago about whether it was spelled with a ck or qu.
https://www.theeasygarden.com/javascript:void(0)
There are a couple main theories behind the name rocket in regards to arugula. The first one is that the name refers to how quickly arugula grows. But the more detailed theory posits that it came from the word “roquette,” which was what arugula is called in France.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. I remember a conversation on here a few years ago about whether it was spelled with a ck or qu.
https://www.theeasygarden.com/javascript:void(0)
There are a couple main theories behind the name rocket in regards to arugula. The first one is that the name refers to how quickly arugula grows. But the more detailed theory posits that it came from the word “roquette,” which was what arugula is called in France.

i was brought to this plant by the word rucola. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow it and mix with lettuce and sometimes DS finds it and says there is something wrong with his salad. lol I think it is too strong, but I also never liked kale and forced myself and also mustard is strong but I eat it. The red mustard to me is good. I will grow a row of arugula and use a little, give some to rabbits and then it just goes to waste. I was planning on planting some this spring again. When I was a kid in Oklahoma I do not remember anybody eating a salad and never heard of kale, but my mother was a nut for turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach and I have had to learn to eat these and collards.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious what the difference might be between a strong flavored green (arugula) and a more mild green (Chinese cabbage), I checked the USDA nutrient database. I still don't have much of an idea but, since I went to the bother ;), here's a look at 3 nutrients for which arugula is said to be a good source.

Arugula
Vitamin A 119 micrograms
Vitamin C 15 mg
Magnesium 47 mg

Chinese cabbage
Vitamin A 45 micrograms
Vitamin C 45 mg
Magnesium 19mg

per 100 grams, raw vegetable

;) Steve
wondering about plant pigments, age at harvest and other complexities ;)

Latest posts