Rodent Near the Garlic?

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, the latest snow came in last night, and in my review of my gardens, I saw little tracks across one of the places where I planted my garlic. It is either a mouse or a chipmunk that came to visit.

Should I lift my straw and see if they are trying to dig up my garlic or leave it be? Could they be using it as a nest this winter?

This is the first time I have planted my garlic here, so I don't know if this is new or will occur again.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Don't think rodents like garlic, which is why people plant them near other vegetables.
I didn't think so; maybe they were trying to find a place under the straw I put over the garlic to winter it. When I read up on garlic earlier this year and started my spring 2023 garden plan, I surrounded some of my core crops with garlic: nothing that doesn't enjoy having garlic nearby and a little protection.

I don't know yet what wildlife will get into my gardens, though I did learn that if I plant broccoli, it needs to be in one of my "inner" rows or in the garden with the barrier. I almost got some as well, until a deer ate the only one I was getting. The rest bolted. (now I have a ton of seeds😆)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
since i've never mulched garlic i couldn't say if that is a sign to worry about, but i've never seen damage to garlic enough to worry about any animal wanting to eat it. sure a few bites from young deer or rabbits that don't know any better but they don't repeat it.

follow the tracks and see if you can find the nest if they've got one started and disturb it to see if they move on. if not thin out the mulch in that area for a while and see what happens.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
since i've never mulched garlic i couldn't say if that is a sign to worry about, but i've never seen damage to garlic enough to worry about any animal wanting to eat it. sure a few bites from young deer or rabbits that don't know any better but they don't repeat it.

follow the tracks and see if you can find the nest if they've got one started and disturb it to see if they move on. if not thin out the mulch in that area for a while and see what happens.
I will probably do that tomorrow. Today was a high of 14 with a windchill that brought it down to -8. Tomorrow is set to be 35 degrees. It is very bipolar here and I hope to get a good look without my cheeks going numb.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will probably do that tomorrow. Today was a high of 14 with a windchill that brought it down to -8. Tomorrow is set to be 35 degrees. It is very bipolar here and I hope to get a good look without my cheeks going numb.

i certainly understand that... brr!