Romain questions

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been enjoying some great Romaine I started form a tray pack, for some time. Now we have hit some warm weather and it is starting to bolt. :hit I am so sad as I love this kind the best.(don't know the exact breed of romaine). Anyway. Can I pick off the center that is starting to flower and keep the plant going that way? Or do I just have to harvest the whole plant at once and use it right away. I have 5 plants and these have been supplying our family of 5 with all the salad we can eat.

I was hoping to keep it all summer as we get cooler summers here in Oregon. Right now we are having quite a string of 80-90 degree days and nights in the 50's.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nubsmum said:
I have been enjoying some great Romaine I started form a tray pack, for some time. Now we have hit some warm weather and it is starting to bolt. :hit I am so sad as I love this kind the best.(don't know the exact breed of romaine). Anyway. Can I pick off the center that is starting to flower and keep the plant going that way? Or do I just have to harvest the whole plant at once and use it right away. I have 5 plants and these have been supplying our family of 5 with all the salad we can eat.

I was hoping to keep it all summer as we get cooler summers here in Oregon. Right now we are having quite a string of 80-90 degree days and nights in the 50's.
You can buy yourself a little time by picking off the bolting center, but my experience is that once they 'decide' to go, they go no matter what you do and the flavor gets irretrievably bitter. Unfortunately it is just not necessarily possible to keep picking the same lettuce plants *all* season, in many climates (or in all years in other climates).

One thing to try, as an experiment to see how it works for your particular lettuce variety in your particular climate, might be to pick ALL the leaves off of one plant. Strip it bare, taking all leaves but leaving the stemlike core they're attached to intact. Eat the lettuce leaves, of course :) But keep the 'nubbin' that is left there partly shaded and well-watered, and see if you can't get it to start into new growth that is not too bitter and doesn't want to bolt for a good while. It may or may not work for you.

You may be best off starting some new lettuce seeds - now is a reasonable time, as long as you can keep them cool and part-shaded for the next month and a half - to get your foot in the door for a fresh fall crop. If you plant them in containers, e.g. self-watering windowbox containers, you can move them around the yard as needed to give them the right am't of sun and coolth at different times of year.

Good luck,

Pat

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. What would you suggest for shade? Can I use my raised bed and just make a little "tent" like thing? My lettuce was sharing a bed with carrots, peppers and some onion.

I also have a ruffled red variety of lettuce that is standing and another bed of a soft leaf type that is not a "head variety". I prefer the romaine as the base for my salads then add in the softer leaf varieties.

I need to order my winter garden seeds soon so I will shop a variety of romaine that winters (if there is such a thing).

Thanks again!!!:tools

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, make a tent of screen or shadecloth or pine boughs or whatever you've got, and also keep it well watered. You may have extra trouble because of the roots getting hotter in a raised bed but you may as well try what you can :)

Good luck,

Pat

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know where you are located, but lettuce won't be good for long after it starts to bolt. It is definately a cool weather crop. I have have really good crops from a variety called RUBEN'S RED ROMAINE during the winter and Spring. Here is Southeast Texas, it is only a fall-to-spring crop.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And just to remember there are tons of varieties out there that are 'slow bolt' or heat resistant.

Black Seeded Simpson and Jericho grow well here through the summers at 95 degrees. Of course we provide them with shade and ample water as Pat describes. Parris Island is a great romaine variety that is very slow to bolt.

Info for next year I guess. . .

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We were growing Little Gems, but not once it got warm. Here we grow lettuce only in the spring, and fall.

I'm sorry yours bolted. Giving Pat's suggestions a try might yield you something. I'm sorry that I don't remember where you live/your climate.

Good luck! :)

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your suggestions and help. In the "grand Scheme" of things, lettuce bolting is the least of my worries. It is all about perspective. :D At least that is what i keep telling myself at my sad, non producing tomatoes.

I will do more research before I plant next year and I am looking to order a winter hardy variety of Romaine that may withstand our Oregon fall. I have never done a winter garden and am looking forward to it this year.

:rainbow-sun

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't forget the garlic! :D

Actually, now is not too early to order it. They will ship it in time for fall planting. Territorial Seeds has quite a few varieties. :)

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ahh!!! thats what my romaine was doing!!

sounds like once it's bolted thats it right? it'll be bitter forever...

in order to get more lettuce you'd have to replant??

Latest posts