?? Roo just died?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was hoping one of you chicken lovers might know what the heck just happened. I can't access BYC for some reason. I was just looking out the window at my chickens, and my 9 month old silkie roo suddenly collapsed, thrashed a couple times, and then died. I'd been out there less than 15 minutes before feeding them, and he appeared totally normal then even up close. Obviously without a necropsy we'll never know for sure what caused it, but any ideas?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was hoping one of you chicken lovers might know what the heck just happened. I can't access BYC for some reason. I was just looking out the window at my chickens, and my 9 month old silkie roo suddenly collapsed, thrashed a couple times, and then died. I'd been out there less than 15 minutes before feeding them, and he appeared totally normal then even up close. Obviously without a necropsy we'll never know for sure what caused it, but any ideas?

oh my gosh! sorry! i have no idea other than some kind of heart attack, stroke or aneurism type of event.

would your son have the inclination/patience to do a science experiment to see if he could figure out what happened?

Last edited:

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The will do that sometimes. Just up and die. My pride and joy EE roo just died one day. Even while I was in town, I kept having this feeling that he would die. Arrived home.....dead rooster.
None of the others ever died though. And I have had several in the 9 years I raised chickens.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a big, strong pullet die suddenly. I saw her walking then lying out flat. Death throes started within a few moments.

That was the day that the backyard flock discovered the rhubarb plants on the other side of the greenhouse. They really didn't have much time over there. Several leaves showed chicken damage.

You know, I'm not sure if the poison substance in the leaves would have acted quickly enough or that she necessarily ate enough of the toxin for it to be a fatal poisoning. However, my guess is there might have been a lot of sudden pain.

Chickens may eat the wrong things!

Steve
Edit: notice what the Canadian government has to say about black nightshade (LINK). Just one of several plants that are toxic to poultry and that there are recorded instances of them eating and being poisoned.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always say...sometimes they just keel over. A backyarder cannot afford to find out the reason. Though mine never did what you described.

Latest posts