Roosters need a new home...

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm planning on attending the Valley Center meet up. I would really like to rehome my 2 roosters: a RIR that crows "OMG" and a BCM "Walter" who is on the ornery side until he learns who the boss is. If someone is interested please PM me. I need to make room for any olive eggers I might find at the meet.
100_0781.JPG
Image12172013095623.jpg
100_0781.JPG
Image12172013095623.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
A BCM that is ornery? Really? I think people tried to warn me before I got mine, but I thought I knew best. Now I am being stalked daily. :he

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear ya Lucky. I was SURE I could keep mine sweet if I just did everything right - treated him just so, blah, blah.
I ended up having to carry brooms (and eventually rakes) into the pen just to check the water. I was STILL willing to deal with it 'cause he was just so pretty - but then he started tearing up the hens. That was it - off to the swap he went.
Being the deliberate hardhead that I am - I raised 2 of his sons - HUGE, Georgous fellas. I came home one day to find a giant gash in one of the hen's backs - they were off to freezer camp the next afternoon.

I'm sorry to say it Hoss, and your boys are LOVELY - but in my opinion, your best bet is to have them fellas for dinner.
I eventually learned this : the phrase 'good roo' means that he is kind to the hens, watchful of the sky for predators and warns when he sees something, and stays as far away from me as he can. A good roo will start out good, grow up good, stay good. A bad roo is born that way and can't be 'fixed'.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I've had one bad one and put up with him for way too long because he was in every way the perfect rooster to the hens - gentle with them, ever vigilant, refused to eat treats but called the hens to anything he found or was offered. His only flaw was that in his determination to keep his hens safe, he decided I was a threat to them and was bound and determined to ensure I didn't get close to them. Two days after Thanksgiving 2012, he attacked me for the last time. 'Nuff said.

Since then I've had several roosters who did all of the above AND are respectful towards me. There are too many nice roosters out there, to put up with one who is not, IMO.

I butcher any excess roosters I get. Only a fraction of the roosters hatched are needed in this world as a flock leader - but if I can raise them in great conditions and they get to eat good food, browse, graze, dust bathe, sun bathe and socialize with their flock-mates - they are doing far better than chickens raised in factory conditions for human consumption, so I don't feel guilty about feeding my family with what I have hatched, raised and processed humanely.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I also had 3 BCM roos that were just awful as cockerels, and their sister was culled at just over a year for beating up on my favorite bantam, but she was also a mediocre layer. Seems like a trend. :/

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The more I read these stories, the more blessed Poof Head makes me feel. He's such a good boy. Friendly, charming, likes to be petted, not too loud.

Nothing you'd need a rake for. :ep

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The more I read these stories, the more blessed Poof Head makes me feel. He's such a good boy. Friendly, charming, likes to be petted, not too loud.

Nothing you'd need a rake for. :ep
Wow! You are blessed! What breed is he?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
ROOSTER SALAD

Boil (simmer) one dead rooster, preferably cleaned, all afternoon until meat falls from bone.

Debone the meat, toss bones to dogs that are drooling all over the kitchen floor, watching your every move with intent stare.

Cut the meat into bite size pieces, or for ya'll that barely chew and wolf it down like the dogs do, half bite size pieces.

Chop 2 stalks of celery.

1/2 cup chopped pecans or your favorite nuts.

1/2 pound seedless grapes, cut in half.

A glop or two of mayonaise, just enough to hold it all together.

Chill and serve.

:thumbsup

Latest posts