1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2019 SEED CATALOGS!!!! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Rooting Pear Cutting ?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Nyboy, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Aug 9, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

My dad still lives in the house I grew up in. There used to be many fruit trees in the yard. Many where old when I was a kid. Over the decades they slowly died off. There is one old pear tree still alive that was there when I was a kid. My father is in his 90s, none of us kids want the house. I don't think it would be possible to transplant tree. Would rooting a cutting be possible ?

2. Aug 9, 2018
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

You can always try. If it is a grafted tree you will not get the benefit of the root stock but the produced fruit should be the same. I don't know how hard it is to root a pear cutting but think it might be challenging.

You might be better off grafting onto another pear tree. There are different grafting methods. I tried a couple on apples. I've tried bud grafting and had a 100% failure rate, but some nurseries rely on that method. I get maybe 1 in 10 to take in stem grafting. I'm obviously doing something wrong but it is possible. If you can find someone that knows what they are doing you will probably have great success.

3. Aug 9, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Hum I do have several pear trees can try both rooting and grafting.

4. Aug 9, 2018
    jackb

jackb Garden Addicted

5. Oct 30, 2018
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I was interested so I read the link.
    I think the failure could come from letting them dry out. As you'all know my one grape grew a twin this year. The limb was on the ground and we had such a wet year that it remained wet all summer. While cleaning up I noticed that it had rooted.
    This summer was so wet--sounds like a joke!--that I never had to fill my horse's 100 gallon water tank All Summer! They were getting so much dew from the pasture every morning and night that they weren't drinking. They was heavy dew All summer.
    I notice that any plants that I overwinter dry out OFTEN.
    Just an observation.