Rosa Rugosa and Siberian Iris

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just happy to see some pretty flowers in my garden. This rose bush was a shoot off my big bush two years ago. It seems to love it near the rock wall. And they smell so good! The irises are one of my favorite flowers of all times.

8199_rosa_rogusa.jpg

8199_rogusa_rose.jpg

8199_siberian_iris_closeup.jpg

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
Just happy to see some pretty flowers in my garden. This rose bush was a shoot off my big bush two years ago. It seems to love it near the rock wall. And they smell so good! The irises are one of my favorite flowers of all times.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8199_rosa_rogusa.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8199_rogusa_rose.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8199_siberian_iris_closeup.jpg
That is a breath-taking rose!

Liana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing pics. Our house came with some extensive perennial beds, with lots of fun plants including several kinds of iris. But no roses! My second year here, I planted two rugosas in front of our livingroom windows, and they are doing great. I may be jinxing myself here, but they seem to be pretty easy-care.

Rebbetzin: Part of the reason I planted rugosas is for the hips. Some varieties make hips bigger in diameter than a quarter.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Liana said:
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing pics. Our house came with some extensive perennial beds, with lots of fun plants including several kinds of iris. But no roses! My second year here, I planted two rugosas in front of our livingroom windows, and they are doing great. I may be jinxing myself here, but they seem to be pretty easy-care.

Rebbetzin: Part of the reason I planted rugosas is for the hips. Some varieties make hips bigger in diameter than a quarter.
I'm going to see about getting one for my garden. In Alaska, the wild roses put out very nice hips. Here is a very old photo of my daughter, sitting in a bed of wild roses on a walk we took in 1971 near Anchorage Alaska. She is eating a rose hip still attached to the bush!

JenninRosesAlaskaemail.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Glad you liked the pics. I know I certainly enjoy looking at everyone elses!

skeeter9, They do have a long bloom time in Maine at least. They started blooming last week and will bloom into the fall.

rebbetzin, They do produce rose hips. I have never eaten them or even thought of it for that matter. Something to consider. :D The irises I was told when I got them, that they were Siberian Irises. But that was from my mother in law. She is a wonderful woman, but has been known to make up her own names and words! ;)

Liana, you are so right. They are so easy to care for. In fact around here, they are called "beach rose" because people that live near the ocean plant them. They can take a beating from the wind and seem to love it! We live near the top of a mountain and it is windy all the time. My perenial bed is north facing and the original Rugosa took it hard this winter. I had a lot of winter kill. I will trim it all back and no doubt, it will LOVE IT!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are two of my favorite perennials too -- so beautiful, SO low (well, NO) maintenance! :) Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing them.

The iris looks Siberian to me, fwiw.

Pat

Latest posts