Rose hip jelly

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a wild rose growing on the edge of a drainage ditch just behind our back fence . After the State cut down the cotton wood trees, this rose exploded in growth ( now about 10' x10' +/ - ) as well as blooms. The rose hips just started to turn to orange.... so my wife just asked me if i could pick these hips so that she could try to make rose hip jelly. She has never made it before ! Has anyone have any and all advice on how to proceed with this venture... best time to pick the hips, best recipe, etc. or is this a waste of time. :idunno:caf

t

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not much I can offer for the rosehips, I haven't used those yet, but I've bought rose petal jam, rosehip jam and rosehip tea. They were all very nice. But I have used roses extensively in a wonderful yogurt drink. They have to be the fragrant, usually wilder types. I go out in the evening and snip a bunch of blossoms, shake them off (for bugs) , drop in a mason jar & pour boiling water over them. I let it sit overnight, then strain the next day, and mix this rose flavoured water with yogurt and some sweetener to taste to make it drinking consistency. It tastes especially wonderful very well chilled. It is one of the few drinks which truly does have a cooling effect on the body in summer, much like horchata.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
do not bring them inside to finish drying. some may be infested with bugs that you won't notice until they start coming out of the pods... yes, first-hand experience speaking...

Latest posts