Rose of Sharon or something else?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
after looking over a few apple/crab apple trees in my yard i realized it might not be one of those. it could be cherry trees. i have few coming up wild & the one across the street from my yard is deep red so all the saplings coming up in my yard look like it too.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am really pretty sure it is the crab apple. No cherry trees for miles. Either way. I have no place to plant it. If one of you all want to come and pick it up, I will save it for you. ;)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crap apple will pollinate almost every apple variety. Many apple orchards plant them for that reason. They are one of my favorite trees. Amazing flower display spring, bright red fruit decorating tree in winter.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crap apple will pollinate almost every apple variety. Many apple orchards plant them for that reason. They are one of my favorite trees. Amazing flower display spring, bright red fruit decorating tree in winter.

A favorite of mine also. My Prariefire has tiny apples, smaller than a cherry and when the tree is bare in the winter they stand out against the snow. The birds seem to prefer them most in late winter. Maybe because they are softer and sweeter after all the freezing. The apple trees that were supposed to be Prariefire are pretty in bloom and do give us usable fruit, but can't beat the show the little crab puts on for three seasons. I should get more...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea to buy them at season end. I could put them in the open space at the front of the property where I have my seedling white pines. It would be a nice change of color and texture.

Latest posts