Roses by seed (Update pics 10/19)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not sure if any of you have taken the time to try and grow roses from Rose Hips. Some folks have a difficult time, but I usually get a few to take.

Every winter, just as all the rose hips begin to soften and turn prunish, I gather them and remove the seeds. I then soak the seeds in some hydrogen peroxide to take off any debris and or bacteria. I then put them in a covered tray of soil. I typically get about 5 plants out of 50 or so seeds.

What I found out about doing this is that no rose is 'true to seed' and every new plant is a new cultivar with potential for being a prize rose. Of course it is more of a guessing game with me since I am not doing the pollinating. There is no way to tell who is from who unless it shows in the bush-type and or bloom. The new rose plants will produce a tiny representative flower in the earliest stages (sometimes as early as the third set of leaves). This enables the grower in making a determination as to whether or not it is a keeper or if it should be discarded for bad qualities. Only the everblooming varieties will bloom the first season, the annual bloomers will wait one year.

Here is a picture of my newest roses. One of them bloomed today and it is the palest pink imaginable. I am assuming this is a variation of my "New Dawn", but it could be something else...I do like the greenish hue in the petals but I doubt that will stay. As the rose grows the blooms will grow as well, becoming bigger and bigger as the seasons pass.

i42xxe.jpg

Here is the group photo of all of them on the table. You can see the little bloom on the right lower half of the picture.
2exrgwy.jpg

I do adore roses, and my goal is to eventually bring out all of my cultivars on their own roots via seedlings. A rose on its own roots can live for over 100 years.

Ron

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How cool! I never thought you could actually harvest the seeds and have them grow :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love your pictures!!!!

and this idea thank you so much for sharing I am going to give it a try! there are wild roses in the woods here I would love to see if the hips grow!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Boy, and here I was making my rosehips into syrup, jam and tea. I honestly thought it would take years to see blossoms and decide which were good. Most all of mine are pollinated by the local hedge roses, though.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all,

If you want to try this as an experiment you should seek out someone that has those mini-roses. Those little hedge roses that they sell in Walmart and then turn into nice fat bushes. Those seeds grow very easily.

Some sites will describe long drawn out stratification methods. I have tried several. My secret has always been to leave the hips on the plants over the fall and winter, and just as the fruits begin to turn into nice soft/squishy raisins then I cut them. The hip has to be opened, the seeds removed and all the pulp discarded. The seeds themselves are quite big and rock hard. I do not do any cold stratifying or water boiling (methods I use on hard coated seeds). I just make sure all the pulp is removed and then keep them moist and warm (I use a seed starter tray with a cover).

It is an odd thing that you never see baby rose bushes under adult roses. You would think that with the ease at growing them by seed there would be a lot of volunteering going on, but they do not.

This Winter, when it is time for me to do my rose seedlings again, I will offer seeds for anyone that wants to try some.

I will also repost if any of the other five roses blooms, and I will try to get a picture of all my parent roses (20+).

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a picture from this morning, the bloom is opened a bit more and I think I managed to take a clearer shot.

onxc8.jpg

and while I am at it I might add a few of the possible parents (or at least aunts and uncles :lol: )

this one is Double Delight
2d0hrir.jpg

This one is probably not related, but was out there this morning hoping someone noticed. :D This is Midas Touch
34esump.jpg

This one is a good possibility of parentage. This is Angel Face
fp8ode.jpg

Another non-contender, but these were all opened this morning and deserved to be captured. This is Don Juan
2yukk6q.jpg

OK, cool :cool: Ron :cool:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are awesome. I am a slow poke I require at least a year of research before I attempt anything. I have been reading about ornamentals for almost a year and will probably attempt some in the fall. I would love rose but I want to start easy.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

I finally can show my next newest baby rose in bloom. It sure took a long time since my first one.

Here is my newest little rose, I think it has English Rose heritage by the way it is layered:

os4zd5.jpg

I think the heat is having an effect on the fragile petals, but I am so pleased with the color and shape.
2cia3go.jpg

That's it for now, I will post the next seedling rose when it finally opens. I suspect at this rate it might be another week or two.

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ron, :frow

Your pink rose immediately reminded me of Reine Victoria -- I'm sending you a link to the relevant page in David Austin's catalogue:-

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=514

Do you have this in your garden or a rose from the same background. I used to have it in my last garden. It's quite an old variety not one that David Austin has bred.

Have a great Sunday!

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts