Roses by seed (Update pics 10/19)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Hattie,

Yes, it does look like Reine Victoria, how very fascinating. No, I don't have that rose in my garden.

Of my pinks that I can name (adult bushes I took seeds from) are Barbara Streisand, Angel Face, and one other that I have long forgotten the name; I would suspect this one is from the pink that is nameless. I will try to capture a picture for comparison, but it is not in bloom for quite some time.

It is such an exciting thing to see them open like this for the very first time.

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
those babies are just beautiful I am glued to this and going to do it for sure

thank you so much for the great directions and keeping us posted!!! with pictures :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey all,

One more bloomed, now I only have two to go. This one I recognize the parent plant. Unnamed over time but a nice purple with a white central flush.

Sadly, right after this picture was taken, a friend came by and just fell madly in love with it. She rushed it home that very day. LOL Treasures are amazing to find.

4sz63c.jpg

and one more view; by rights I can name these, so I think Plum Wine would be nice. (I love plum wine LOL)
23lkpok.jpg

Two baby roses left to bloom. It seems I am getting a full array of colors from this season's seeds.

Ron

linamree

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi I am a:)newbee. I just found this web site and I think I am hooked already. I just love the info on the roses. I have several and lots of questions to come. I hope we can become gardening friends. Thanks linamree

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think these roses are gorgeous! I'm learning well I hope from you guys...

I do not have my roses yet, but hubby and I have a roses garden plan when before we didn't want any at all.... so this should be good. :weee

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome Linamree,

I am so happy to see new faces on board. Roses are one of my favorites too. I currently have about 20 roses in my garden and it just seems like I barely have any at all.

I remember when I was a young person I visited an old Army Fort at Fort Bliss, TX. (El Paso), and there they had several roses that were the very roses that were carried across the West on covered wagon. I was floored to think that a rose could live so very long.

I also read an article shortly after the Berlin Wall fell. Several horticulturalists visited old public gardens and found several roses there that were named from the days of Shakespeare. Most were not known in realtime but only through stories. What a great find.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. I doubt I know half of what most people do but I will try and if not I am sure someone here would be happy to share.

Welcome to the TheEasyGarden.

Ron

dandelion

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That is so neat- you've inspired me to try growing roses from seed again. I tried when I was a kid with no success, but those baby rose plants are so sweet, and what a fun surprise seeing what they turn out as!

Latest posts