Rotation??

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, as you guys know... this was my first garden. Now, I know the importance of soil nutrients and blah blah blah... What I want/need to know is, even if we're going to be putting some compost (both our own and store bought) on our raised gardens over the winter/in spring, should I rotate what we grow in them? And if so What should I grow??

I had Tomatoes, cucumbers, bush beans, peppers, watermelons, pumpkins, and corn. (Pumpkins and corn didn't make it to harvest tho. :( )

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are two different issues. One is the nutrients thing. Different crops use different nutrients. Legumes like beans actually can increase nitrogen if a certain bacteria is present, so beans are usually a good thing to plant after a heavy nitrogen user like corn, or plant a heavy nitrogen user after beans or peas.

The other issue is disease and pests. If you plant the same family of plants in the same spot, any disease present gets reinforced and can wipe out your second year's crop. Pests that overwinter in the ground have a ready food source too. For example, potatoes and tomatoes should not be planted after each other. But then, they should not be planted next to each other because if one gets diseased, it can give it to the other.

I don't do it myself as much as I probably should, but I do try. I just cannot avoid next to each other and after each other that well.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best to rotate- if it is possible. There are many successful gardeners who plant the same thing year after year- in the same spot. If it is the only spot you have, not a lot of choice! If you have grown tomatoes, without any blight issues- probably not as important to rotate...I try to change it up, where I can. But for most backyard gardeners, we don't have the space luxury of rotating everything, every year.
Of course, you are right- adding organic matter will benefit your gardens. Happy Garden Planning!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
There are two different issues. One is the nutrients thing. Different crops use different nutrients. Legumes like beans actually can increase nitrogen if a certain bacteria is present, so beans are usually a good thing to plant after a heavy nitrogen user like corn, or plant a heavy nitrogen user after beans or peas.

The other issue is disease and pests. If you plant the same family of plants in the same spot, any disease present gets reinforced and can wipe out your second year's crop. Pests that overwinter in the ground have a ready food source too. For example, potatoes and tomatoes should not be planted after each other. But then, they should not be planted next to each other because if one gets diseased, it can give it to the other.

I don't do it myself as much as I probably should, but I do try. I just cannot avoid next to each other and after each other that well.
AGreed! I feel it's very easy to do with raised beds, as I just move all my crops from one bed to the next the following year. Like rolling them over. That way I don't have to sit with a piece of paper and figure it out. I did that a few years ago and got so confused I gave up! :rolleyes:

I also believe in companion planting so works well for me, plants I find to work well together, stay together. :D

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

Latest posts