Rouge Vif D'Etampes

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted the Galeux d' Eysines this year, too! Sold at market this Saturday for $5/pumpkin with people barely batting an eyelash! They ARE 15-20 lb of pure pumpkin flesh and funky-looking warts all over. Apparently, the trick is to get them off the vine before they are completely covered in the warty growths. They are a real shopper-stopper :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I would love to see pictures of these please?! :D

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a dinosaur of a computer and cannot even load picture software. Your best bet would be going to seedsavers.org and taking a gander at their picture. Then, picture the pumpkin completely covered in those growths to see how one of mine looked :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive.... :bee

http://www.learn2grow.com/projects/edibles/decoration/heirloompumpkins.aspx

This site has good pics of this type of pumpkin and a few others. I think I will try a little of each next year, as my Rouges really got a lot of attention around these parts this year. I think I will be able to sell a good many of these strange looking ones as well next year. Take up a lot of space in the garden but I'm going to plant them among the corn and beans to maximize space.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would like to try the Rouge next year--it looks neat--so orange! I interplanted some cushaws with the late planting of sweet corn. It was between the border 2 rows of corn and did great. I'd like to try a lot more of this as a space saver next year (also fewer weeds). Does anybody do this extensively or exclusively?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did it a little this year but the corn must have shaded those plants too much, the fruit was smaller than my ones planted out in the open. I'm thinking I would like to plant them differently this next year, but the same concept. Maybe plow up a section for corn, plant 3 rows then a row of pumpkins, 3 rows of corn, then pumpkins, etc. This may let the pumpkins spread into the corn for weed control but still allow enough sunlight to the main plant for good growth. I don't know, but I'm going to try it! :)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan--a little more sunlight for the squash. I'd also like to get my squash in between the corn ASAP. I dilly dallied a bit this year, but they still seemed to do well. They were cushaws, though, and I think those have classically been interplanted with corn and beans by native Americans and so maybe were better suited for this...

Latest posts