Rouge Vif D'Etampes

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone grown these types of pumpkins before? Easy to grow? I think they are the most beautiful pumpkins I've ever seen! I ordered the seeds and they came yesterday. Planted today. Had already planted some generic pumpkins from the nursery, just to fill some garden space. The VDEs are reputed to have good, sweet flesh for pie making. They are all the rage right now for Halloween decorations, so I am hoping to sell some at my roadside stand. I also hope to store some for chicken treats, save some seed and freeze some pumpkin pie mix.

So...anyone with info on this type of pumpkin? :frow

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow them.

We mulched them, and they were a heavy setter of flowers and fruit. Also, they took cooler weather, which was nice. We had a few days of that, which is unusual for us, but they were fine.

I hope you sell all you can grow! :happy_flower

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got them too this year. We are hoping to sell and have several varieites of heirloom pumpkins.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! We have cooler weather here also and the bed is already mulched and ready. What I don't sell will be made into pumpkin pie mix. They say they are sweet and less stringy than a jack 'o' lantern type pumpkin. I can't wait to see them ripe....I think they are the prettiest pumpkins I've ever seen!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted some this year, we'll see how they go. They appear to be coming up well in our fairly clay-ey soil.

When cooking them: They are really really really really really hard to cut up. Did I mention they are hard to cut up? Because they are hard to cut up. Like, clean off your ax as best you can. This year I have one o' them fancy-pants laser-guided miter saws, so I'm gonna try that. Seriously. One year, I got some from a farm stand and thought they would do well in a late winter sweet potato soup recipe. Two knives and one hammer later...yeah, they were pretty good and not at all stringy.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update: These pumpkins are hardy!!! They practically burst from the ground with thick, green leaves and grow in leaps and bounds! I LIKE this plant! A pumpkins-for-dummies kind of pumpkin, I guess. Every seed I planted germinated and looks like The Little Shop of Horrors. I half expect them to say, "FEED ME!" when I walk by!! :lol: They are my favorite plants this year....anyone else have a favorite type of vegetable each year in their garden? You know, the one you always check first? C'mon, I know you do! :watering

ffulch

Sprout
Reaction score
This is the first year I planted this pumpkin. It got a really late start due to the snow we have had. It is just starting to pop. I have been waiting anxiously for this one to grow. Now you have me even more anxious. The other one I am trying this year is galeux d'eysines. I can hardly wait to taste both of these.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just potted the seeds a couple days ago, they grew 2-3 inches....just yesterday!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
ffulch said:
This is the first year I planted this pumpkin. It got a really late start due to the snow we have had. It is just starting to pop. I have been waiting anxiously for this one to grow. Now you have me even more anxious. The other one I am trying this year is galeux d'eysines. I can hardly wait to taste both of these.
galeux d'eysines

So, planning to eat this squash? Decorative only? Have you grown it before? What made you want to plant this kind?

Sorry, but always curious as to how folks decide on types of vegetables: corn, tomatoes, beans, etc.

Latest posts