Rough edges on seedlings

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!
I have noticed that my seedling have ragged edges, both in my vegetable and flower gardens. I have not spotted any slugs (although I guess they could be hiding :)) and I thought rabbits and squirrels would eat the plant all the way to the ground.

I know this is not a lot to go on but any ideas?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just a few ideas might be snails, slugs, pill bugs, field mice. IME rabbits eat the best part of the plant so you can see the damage before they come back and finish it off. :rolleyes:

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That what I figured. Maybe they just get up earlier than i do. I'll put out some diatimaceous (sp.) earth, and see if that does it.

Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah it could be a number of pests.... I had something nibbling on my sweet basil the first day I put it in. They haven't bothers my lettuce of tomato plants nearby... I'm assuming snail or pill bug... maybe a caterpillar.

You could always put a little mesh netting cover over them for a little while if DE doesn't work.

I was told to do the coffee grounds (used) around plants... it makes the plant happy and the slugs and snails don't like the rough feelings so won't go over it.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So you sink a can of beer in the garden and they slime their way in? I guess this would also prevent Dixie (my dog) from lapping up the beer when she got a chance!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just sink tuna cans in. They're deep enough to hold a decent amount of beer, but not so deep you have to dig giant holes. But if Dixie likes beer, she'll probably think you're just offering her the beer. :lol:

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey! Just an update- I think my ragged edges may have come from earwigs. I have noticed them around and apparently they feed on seedlings. At any rate the DE cleared up the problem but I did not get a chance to try the beer. That may be best for the dog!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Latest posts