Rough week

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My company sent me out of town again this week. Here's how it went...I got up at 2:45 Monday morning, went through my morning routine, coffee, TEG, etc... Loaded my suitcase and cooler into the truck and left for Charleston (220 miles away) at 4:15. I got to the office there a bit before 8:00, then went to the job-site and worked until 5:00pm. Stayed in the hotel that night and was back at the site at 7:00am and worked until 5:00 again on Tuesday. Lather, rinse, repeat on Wednesday, but instead of going to the hotel Wednesday night, I got to drive home. Got here around 7:00 Wednesday night (after getting up at 5:30am). Got to spend a bit of the evening with the family before going to bed. Back up at 4:00am yesterday morning to go to Morgantown and another job-site. Got there around 8:00am and worked until 4:00, then drove back home (an hour and 45 minute drive). Got home a bit before 6:00 last night, went straight to the fridge and got out the grape juice I made last Sunday. I called Dew earlier in the week and told her not to can it up; that it would be OK until I got home. It was. So last night I was up until nearly 11:00pm making another 32 jars of jelly.

I'm taking today off. We are driving back to Rogers (where we bought the cucumbers). I'm looking for a few tools I need to get the transmission out of the Durango. But as soon as we get home, I must get the tomatoes in and canned. There's a horde of them out there! This may be the last canning run for them. The romas are ready for their last picking and I don't know if I have enough main crop tomatoes left to turn after this picking to can another load; maybe I do.

Dang I'm tired.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, you got me tired just reading your post! With all the food preserving that you do, do you consume all of it? What do you do with it. Thirty two jars of jelly seems like a lot. I think we use less than 10 a yr.

Mary

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Wow! What a schedule! You got me motivated to get back out there and get more gardening done.....right after my nap! :D
:yuckyuck

Mary, we eat everything we preserve. The jelly jars are half pint. So since we ended up with 60 jars total this year, that only 30 pints or 15 quarts. PB&J is big around here, so is homemade biscuits with butter and jelly. We'll give a few jars away, but the rest will be gone by the time jelly season comes around again next year.

I got my running around done. When I got home, out to the garden I went to pick tomatoes. I only picked from 8 plants and got the 22 qt water bath canner filled. I just got done skinning them and putting them in the jars. I have 7 quarts in the pressure canner and 5 more in the small water bath canner. I still have 16 plants to pick tomorrow plus the romas. I should get out there and pick another load to do tonight, but I'm just too tired. Dew is out with her dad, so I'm on my own for now. I know I'll regret not doing it, but not until tomorrow :)

And to top it all off, the apples are ready :th So sometime this weekend I have to make time to make homemade apple pie filling and maybe some apple sauce. There's only about a bushel on the tree, so it won't be too bad.

Oh, and the dang grass needs cut AGAIN :barnie

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Folks! Step right up and buy your very own MontyJ wind-up kitchen side-kick here!! He works for beer and bar-b-cue and he cooks the bar-b-cue!! Contact Dew for price and address where to send money to! :lol:

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Folks! Step right up and buy your very own MontyJ wind-up kitchen side-kick here!! He works for beer and bar-b-cue and he cooks the bar-b-cue!! Contact Dew for price and address where to send money to! :lol:
:gig :gig :yuckyuck Good one Baymule!!!!!!!!!!! Love it.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wait a minute...if I'm getting beer and BBQ (very good BBQ if I'm cooking ;) ) why is Dew getting money???

I hear she charges extra for the short leash required :lol:

Latest posts