Rudy, the survivor

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well the copy paste didn't work exactly but at least one of the new naked chicks pics came through. (only one naked chick so far but had several pics I was trying to copy paste)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, wow! Here I was considering reporting you for re-posting a photo of our Rudy. That's a new hatchling?

Congrats! I see a lot of sewing in your future if this becomes a tradition at your place. They will all need a wardrobe. See! I still think you can send Rudy's portfolio out and get him started on a modeling career to offset the cost of fabric.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, a new hatchling, or a Rudy Jr. She (being hopeful) is broody hen hatched and I am torn about letting a broody mom raise her. Not sure the mom will be able to keep her warm enough, (throughout the day when they are all running around) and not sure when she actually "sees" the chick she will recognize it as a chick and not think mouse or something forgein and kill her.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand your predicament, Kassaundra. It seems to me the risks outweigh the benefits and I would go for the tried and true hand raising of this chick. For the chick, at least, the dangers are much greater to leave it there.

How did Rudy fare with his hatchlings? It seemed to me that he was often shown with other chickens and quite accepted by them.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rudy did well w/ his hatchmates, and he did well w/ the rest of the flock when his group was introduced. Broody moms are sooooooo protective and in hormonal overdrive though. I had to move him out of the flock b/c of adult rooster issues not "flock" acceptance issues.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
LL
OMG

Latest posts