Ruining my lettuce

tiffanyh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
okay.

DUmb question!

How come everytime I try to cut back my lettuce to use it never grows back? How can I cut it so that I can get more lettuce down the road? I am cutting it to short, to high so that is doesnt "realixe" it needs to regenerate more leaves?

Told you it was a dumb question ;)
THanks!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No such thing as a dumb question, how else do we learn?

SO, it would be helpful if you gave a few more details. What type of lettuce are you planting? When are you harvesting?

Generally speaking, butter leaf lettuces and romaine need to cut off at the base to produce another crop. We usually remove the outer leaves, cut at about an inch above the ground. Our red sails and black seeded simpson don't actually produce a "second crop" but continue to produce as we take the outer leaves to use. Firmhead or crisp lettuce doesn't produce a second crop.

Does this kind of help?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think taking the larger outside leaves a few at a time, rather than cutting the whole thing off at the base, is what keeps the plant regenerating.

Most mesclun type varieties are meant to be cut off at the base (I think), and are done for the season then. Sow a lot of it, in that case!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just harvest the outer leaves, leave the baby ones in the center to keep growing. Unless I am taking the whole entire head (like, because I need the space or it will be bolting soon anyhow).

Pat

tiffanyh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am doing romaine and leafy type stuff. I didnt realize I should just take the outer leaves. I took all and cut it up high, so it must not have realized it needed to grow again.

This year I am doing to lettuce in large boxes on the deck. Save some room in my garden for other things.

Latest posts