Runner that is taking over lawn

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well at least this noxious weed isn't illegal just obnoxious. I also get milk thistles popping up which are banned. It looks like I need to dry out the lawn and lime may help. I like the idea of stepables but for now I want a plant that will crowd out the buttercups. Not a fan of toxic plants in the yard.

Here's what my county has to say about creeping buttercups.

http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/lib...ds/Brochures/Creeping_Buttercup_FactSheet.pdf

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really think Beavis is right, it doesn't look like the buttercup pictures I've seen.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not just guessing, I'm positive those are buttercups. They're the same here on the east coast as they are out there on the west coast. They're very difficult to eradicate - where the wild geraniums are fairly easy to get rid of.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Buttercups. I have them. Low, creeping and persistent.

I work at a perennial nursery and those are buttercups.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got those in Iowa last summer when we were super rainy and cooler than normal (probably like Seattle most of the time). At least I'm in "pond country"; Iowa City and other river towns fared way worse. I also thought they were "wild" seeds of my geraniums--when they finally made tiny, inconspicuous flowers, I started pulling them up, if that was all they had to say for themselves. I hope I don't have a continuing problem. I noticed the wild violets also seeded unusual vigor, too. Thanks for the buttercup ID.

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
Buttercups. I have them. Low, creeping and persistent.

I work at a perennial nursery and those are buttercups.
Any ideas on how to get rid of them. From what I've read pulling and cutting just makes them grow stronger.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If Reinbeau's link didn't have solutions you could use then try pouring boiling water over them every time you see new growth. If you kill the leaves enough times the roots will eventually starve.
Or try something like roundup.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Old thread, and I'm not sure if the solution was already found or not, but thouught I'd throw in my two bits.

Laters makes a special formula herbicide for creeping buttercup, It will not harm your lawn, and will get rid of this pesty weed.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh these creeping buttercups are appauling to me they invade everything in my yard and the roots are so hard to get ..leave one crumb and they take off like crazy ..if they would go in my lawn I would be happy but no they like my flower beds my vegetable beds

I think if I sat still in my yard long enough they would grow in my hair!!!! grumble grumble grumble

awful pest to me worse than the silly morning glory and horsetail here

Latest posts