Russets

missourichickenmama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow I have a lot of questions about them-

Can they self pollinate?
Or do they have to have more than one russet tree?
Or do you have to have different trees of different variety, if so, is there a particular variety that it has to have, or can it be any variety?
How hardy are they?
Can I have some more general information on russets?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ok threw me off! LOL

Even self pollinating trees do MUCH better when given another tree to pollinate with. So if you have room for 2, that would be best.

But for some reason I kept thinking... potato tree?!?! :lol:

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can they self pollinate?
Or do they have to have more than one russet tree?
Or do you have to have different trees of different variety, if so, is there a particular variety that it has to have, or can it be any variety?
How hardy are they?
Can I have some more general information on russets?
1. Not generally. You will need at least one more apple. There are several sites on the internet, but without knowing which apple specifically I'm not sure which to refer you to.

2. Reasonably hardy. If horrible, evil deer don't eat them, they will do pretty well. I have a few good russets: D'Arcy Spice, Hunt Russet, Roxbury Russet, Spitzenburg have all grown pretty well for me, although the Hunt Russet has done best so far. Spitzenburg made a lot of leaves and watersprouts for a few years, required some trimming and fussing. D'Arcy Spice I only got recently, Roxbury Russet was et by deer several times over and is only now recovering.

3. Um... What do you want to know? They taste amazing. They don't look very pretty, sort of brownish-colored skin, but the flavor is often much better than prettier apples. Some are wonderful winter keepers in a root cellar.