Safe substitute for Aluminum Sulphate????

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm asking if anyone might know of a safe substitute for aluminum sulphate. I wish to lower the ph of my soil for my blueberry plants. Also, is there a better time to apply a ph lowerer??

Thanks for any help, Tony

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aluminum sulphate is Alum, as best I understand. Aluminum is not an uncommon mineral to be found in soil. You can use garden sulfur by itself.

I haven't done any of this altho' maybe I should with the alkaline soil we have around here. I have relied just on organic matter to lower the pH to acceptable levels for general gardening.

You may want to do some research on just using peat moss in good quantity for amending the soil where your blueberries will go.

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
not relevant, but I got a 50 pound bag of aluminum sulfate several years old & no use for it. it just sits there. don't know how to get rid of it. i'm assuming such a bag would be bad for the land fill - is that right?

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BJ,

Are you planning on vacationing in Pa. this summer?? lol

Tony

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In alkaline soil gypsum will supply calcium in an acid form but perhaps not acid enough to alter the PH by much. Garden sulphur is perhaps the best bet. Garden organisms will convert it to a concentrated acid.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Monty,

It runs around 7.0ph. We add the aluminum sulphate every year to get it down to where it should be and by the next year it's back up.

Tony

Latest posts