Salmon Sauce

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We try to eat salmon once a week. It's always a little dry and needs a sauce.

Anyone have a good, easy, lemony sauce recipe for this?

Thanks
Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I use different kinds of jams and jellies. My favorite is apricot jam in a sauce pan with a little water, grated fresh ginger and cayenne pepper flakes to taste. You can use raspberry jam, orange marmalade, what ever is your favorite. It is sooooo good!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, just make some of Bay's Dandelion jelly and use that. Her recipe calls for so much lemon juice that it has a lemony flavor.

When I make it next year @baymule I'm cutting the lemon juice in half.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is dry it is over cooked. Are you buying frozen salmon? Also, if you are not buying wild caught, you are probably buying farm raised which do not have the health benefits of wild caught. The color from farm raised comes from dye not from what the fish eat in the wild.Try cooking it in parchment baking paper to keep in the moisture. Around here in restaurants they cook it rare. Delicious but I do worry about parasites.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, it is wild salmon that I buy at Costco. I cut it up into portions and then I freeze it. I don't think I'm overcooking it. I pan fry till I can see about half of it cooked and then I flip over, cover and let it steam a little. I don't like it too rare.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cook mine in the oven in a glass pan covered in foil. I like to slice a lemon to lay on top and dot it all with butter. It's always moist and delicious. Doesn't seem to smell the house up as much as pan frying either.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle's way is how we do it.

I'm curious about using the sauces. Lemon basil is good on top. So, is dill. People often make a cream sauce with mayo or yogurt with dill. I wonder how that would be.

You could marinade the salmon in lemon juice, a little salt and olive oil. Chopped tomatoes, garlic and basil in the pan after cooking the salmon would give you something quick to go over the top.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I like your idea of chopped tomatoes, garlic and basil in the pan juices Steve! Now I need to get some salmon so I can do that.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I remember a yummy green peppercorn sauce from a restaurant..... I think it was simple, - green peppercorns, lemon, butter, maybe some wine or cream? It was good.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the sauces I've found are butter and herbs. I had it once at a restuarant with a very mild lemon sauce that was not clear like the butter. It was so good. I wished I knew what they used to make it a little thick. It was a very pale yellow in color. Any ideas?

Mary

Latest posts