Salsa recipe to can

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, daughter likes my fresh salsa but I don't have a good recipe that cans. Soooooooo, give me some direction. I have tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, onions, fresh out of garden. Son loves the salsa at mexican resteraunts that to me are few hot peppers, tomato sauce and little cilantro, if that helps.

Help me out......

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can give a salsa reciepe but I have no knowledge of what it takes to can.

I get onions, tomatoes, garlic (a lot), jalapeno or Serrano and let them blacken in my caste iron pan. Then I blend and add salt and pepper. Cilantro makes it kind of sweet and I use it usually when the peppers are too hot to take it down a notch or I will add another tomato. I then simmer it over the stove to reduce it and make it thicker. I don't have a recipe with amounts. I find that jalapenos sometimes are hot and I only need a few and sometimes are not and I need a lot that is why I like the Serrano because it usually has the bite I need and I don't have to have a lot of them. As for tomatoes I need like two or three to maybe 10+ jalapenos or 5-7 Serrano. Half or quarter of an onion. And a whole clove or more of garlic.
Hope this helps

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree with "obsessed" on the ingredients. I made this the other day and canned it. I did a quick blend of the ingredients (so makes it smooth if you like that) and then simmered it for about 20 or 30 minutes. Then pop into jars and water bath for about 30 minutes. Add or subtract those ingredients you prefer or not.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a mix as walmart... it says just add tomatoes and vinegar... but I went ahead and added peppers and onions and my own herbs to the mix. Came out great!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I freeze salsa I have found it to be much better than canned to be honest I just prepare the fresh salsa (any recipe is fine but lleave out the cilantro ..simpler is better) put it in a pot and just barely bring the whole thing to a boil...you do not want to cook it just break the cells a little ...then cool and freeze when you thaw it add some fresh cillantro and some extra lime juice and it is as close to fresh as you can get in the middle of the winter

I just am not happy with canned salsa's maybe if you just canned the tomatoes onions and peppers raw in the jar it would be better but it all ends up tasting too cooked for me and more like a sauce than a salsa

good luck and keep us posted I am always open to trying this again!

I am going to have enough tomatoes to make my first fresh salsa of the season this coming weekend :)

I use tomatoes...roasted green chiles..dried red chile.....onions....garlic....cilantro and lime salt to taste and a pinch of cumin

also I make a kick butt mango salsa just sub the tomatoes for mangos!

pineapple salsa same thing fresh pineapple instead of tomatoes

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I make a zucchini salsa my family loves.
No set recipe but here is the basic

3-4 small pkts salsa mix
2 large zucchini(run through food processor)
2 large cans stewed tomatoes (normally use home grown but my tomatoes and peppers didnt turn out this yr)
cilantro
parsley
Cayenne pepper
green peppers
onion
garlic
celery seed or powder
white ground pepper
salt
franks hot sauce to taste
cook until flavors mix
add vinegar
water bath can

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, I have posted a few times. I just want everyone to be safe, especially newbie canners. I am no expert but I do a lot of research before I can something. I want my friends and family to be safe. I want newbies to get the right info.
Yes there are a lot of old time recipes out there and they were once considered safe, but things change,and so does the safeness of recipes. I'm not trying to be the canning police or anything, just trying to keep someone from getting ill.
I have seen a lot of recipes out there on the internet like (recipes.com) and just because someone canned it,and didn't get sick doesn't mean you won't.
Another big no, no is canning with oil, there are only a few safe ones out there. So please just do your homework, stick to the recipes, do not alter ratios of veggies, unless you check it out first.

Please stick to safe recipes, with salsa there is a lot of low acid veggies, plus you eat it uncooked when serving, thus a better chance for food born illness. So stick to a salsa recipe you know has been tested.
I just read that you can not can zucchini so I would recommend you freeze something like that.
Here is a great place to get info. Gardenweb.com go to gardenweb forums, then click on harvest.
There was a recent discussion about not being able to can zucchini and squash!
Also visit this site for safe canning recipes. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
Happy safe canning!

Latest posts