1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Salsa Recipe?

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by silkieboxerluv, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008
    silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Leafing Out

Jalepenos,cilantro,yellow red and green bell with onions-ias there a such recipe for canning?

2. Jun 6, 2008
    herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Garden Ornament

Mostly you can just play around with it and come up with something you like. I'd add tomatoes.

3. Jun 6, 2008
    Grow 4 Food

Grow 4 Food Garden Ornament

I start mine with Mrs Wages and tinker with it from there.

4. Jun 6, 2008
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

I found a likely looking recipe in my Countryside magazine....when I find that issue, I'll post it on this thread! I just have to find that issue....... :he

5. Jun 26, 2008
    Cassandra

Cassandra Garden Ornament

I need to make some, also. I have the following ingredients:

Banana peppers
    tomatoes
    onions
    bell peppers
    lime juice
    parsley (I really hate cilantro and refuse to put any in there. You can't make me!!! lol)

If you want to can it, how do you make sure it is acidic enough not to spoil? Or should it be pressure canned?

I have researched and found several recipes on the internet, but all of them require weird ingredients that I don't have and don't want to bother getting. Besides, all the stuff on the above list, except the lime juice, is growing right in my garden

Cassandra

6. Jun 27, 2008
    simple life

simple life Garden Ornament

Usually if you have enough tomoatoes it provides the acid you need. Lemon juice is used for acid sometimes so I wonder if the lime is acidy enough.

7. Jul 6, 2008
    greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Sprout

i have a recipe that uses tomatoes, green and hot peppers, onions, celery, taco seasoning, vinegar, and some other stuff we have been using this recipe FOREVER and it turns out great everytime and you dont even have to pressure cook them to seal. my family used to make gallons upon gallons of this stuff every year. if someone wants the recipe i can get it to them.

8. Jul 8, 2008
    Tutter

Tutter Deeply Rooted

That sounds really good, Greenthumb! :cool:

I'd be interested in the recipe. Could you just post it, so that everyone could share in it? :)

9. Jul 8, 2008
    setter4

setter4 Garden Ornament

I 2nd this, I start with Mrs Wages and then add extra tomatoes, peppers and onion. It's great stuff!

10. Jul 8, 2008
    blurose

blurose Garden Ornament

My dad used to own a mex food restaraunt years ago. He made his own salsa, of course. I'm not sure about the proportions as he made gallons at a time, but here are the ingredients: Fire-roasted jalapeno peppers, white onions, canned whole tomatos (yes I said CANNED --more consistant than trying to get good fresh ones all of the time), salt a little garlic and flat-leaf parsley (we don't care for cilantro either). Whiz this all up in a food processor and WOW! This stuff was not for the weak either, but people couldn't stop eating it. Of course, they'd buy more drinks this way too. :lol:

A few years ago I used the same "recipe" with the exception that I used my own fresh tomatoes and canned it in a waterbath canner for the same amount of time I'd be canning fresh tomatoes. I couldn't keep it on the pantry shelf. We found out that the longer it sat on the shelf, the hotter it got too. Although, in deference to my mom I tried to at least do a few jars of "mild" salsa. ;)