Salsa Recipe?

silkieboxerluv

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Jalepenos,cilantro,yellow red and green bell with onions-ias there a such recipe for canning?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I start mine with Mrs Wages and tinker with it from there.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a likely looking recipe in my Countryside magazine....when I find that issue, I'll post it on this thread! I just have to find that issue....... :he

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I need to make some, also. I have the following ingredients:

Banana peppers
tomatoes
onions
bell peppers
lime juice
parsley (I really hate cilantro and refuse to put any in there. You can't make me!!! lol)

If you want to can it, how do you make sure it is acidic enough not to spoil? Or should it be pressure canned?

I have researched and found several recipes on the internet, but all of them require weird ingredients that I don't have and don't want to bother getting. Besides, all the stuff on the above list, except the lime juice, is growing right in my garden

Cassandra

greenthumb89

Sprout
Reaction score
i have a recipe that uses tomatoes, green and hot peppers, onions, celery, taco seasoning, vinegar, and some other stuff we have been using this recipe FOREVER and it turns out great everytime and you dont even have to pressure cook them to seal. my family used to make gallons upon gallons of this stuff every year. if someone wants the recipe i can get it to them.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds really good, Greenthumb! :cool:

I'd be interested in the recipe. Could you just post it, so that everyone could share in it? :)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I start mine with Mrs Wages and tinker with it from there.
I 2nd this, I start with Mrs Wages and then add extra tomatoes, peppers and onion. It's great stuff!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My dad used to own a mex food restaraunt years ago. He made his own salsa, of course. I'm not sure about the proportions as he made gallons at a time, but here are the ingredients: Fire-roasted jalapeno peppers, white onions, canned whole tomatos (yes I said CANNED --more consistant than trying to get good fresh ones all of the time), salt a little garlic and flat-leaf parsley (we don't care for cilantro either). Whiz this all up in a food processor and WOW! This stuff was not for the weak either, but people couldn't stop eating it. Of course, they'd buy more drinks this way too. :lol:

A few years ago I used the same "recipe" with the exception that I used my own fresh tomatoes and canned it in a waterbath canner for the same amount of time I'd be canning fresh tomatoes. I couldn't keep it on the pantry shelf. We found out that the longer it sat on the shelf, the hotter it got too. Although, in deference to my mom I tried to at least do a few jars of "mild" salsa. ;)

Latest posts