Salsa Recipe?

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just to boil something doesn't make it safe, The reason it is not safe is the low acid veggies in it! It needs vinegar and or some other type of acid like lemon juice, or citric acid. Pressure canning salsa is recomended, unless deemed safe for water bathing, which the recipe I gave has been. I have to add more vinegar, then bif I was to pressure can it!
Botulism can grow even if your food was boiled in a water bath, so the right balance of acid and other factors go into making your end result safe.
I have a few recipes that my great grandparents made, and they are no longer considered safe.
It would be like playing Russian Roulette, a lot of people may have ate it and been ok, then one persons gets the bad batch, and their life is on the line.
Please use caution when learning to can, get the facts then make your decision.
Go to trusted sites, and use up to date canning books.
I know I sound like a mother hen, but I just want to pass on safe recipes.
I know I would never forgive myself if someone was to get sick from something I made.
I sure as heck don't want to get sick either!
Brenda

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was referring to the recipe that backyard buddies mentioned, I know that it has vinegar in it. In fact I have yet to see a salsa recipe that doesn't have vinegar or lemon juice in it.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Im unsure what "Mrs Wages" is.... a seasoning, I assume??.. Im in Florida.. have never seen it...
It's a big packet of basically powdered seasoning. Just add your own tomatoes kind of thing. Also other varieties like pickle mixes. Sort of like hamburger helper for canners. Usually I only find it during canning season with the other canning stuff.

My DH is always messing with what he wants in his salsa. I was told to go with the highest time/pressure of the diff ingredients in the pressure canner and I wouldn't have a problem.

Am I missing something? Do most people not have pressure canners? The one I saw at Wal-Mart said it could be used as both waterbath and pressure canner and had a bigger capacity than the enamel crock ones. Was only about $15 diff in price. Sorry, but the whole debate is confusing to me. :hu

Latest posts