Sand Under Pumpkins?

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi! My pumpkin plants are in a bed that vines out into the grass. I read that pumpkins can rot from the ground being moist and by bugs. What can I put under the pumpkins to keep them from doing that? I read you can put sand and I have a lot of it but wanted to ask other peoples advice on sand under pumpkins. Thanks!! :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know why sand wouldn't work, but I am not a pumpkin grower, so take that for what it's worth. I have heard of people setting their prize pumpkins on a board or something similar to keep them from rotting, etc. slugs, snails....If your lawn doesn't mind having sand dumped on it, go for it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think sand may work.

So Lucky's idea of a board - I've done that. It might deter the mice, also. They have chewed holes right thru the bottom of a pumpkin so as to carry off the seeds.

It's mostly the melons and rot that I've been concerned about.

Steve

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks! I will see if I got some boards. Maybe I will put boards under some of them and sand under some as well. I plan on growing pumpkins up a vine next year. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@MontyJ told us a little about his pumpkin contest days and he put a good pad of sand under his pumpkins to help keep the bugs out and the sand acted as a slide as the pumpkins grew.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put my melons on top of an inverted plastic plant pot and have done the same for pumpkins. If you have a large pumpkin it would have to be a pretty strong. By placing them on the blossom end and squarely on the pot or normally on the ground, you will get a nice shaped pumpkin.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
How do you get the pumpkins to stand up straight?

Latest posts