Sandhill Preservation

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased seeds from them? OR where is the best place to purchase seeds and what's the best brand in your opinion? DH and I want to grow a big garden this year (we have grown just tomatoes in the past) as our attempt to become more independent and for fun.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:gig I read your post on BYC about people coming over here to answer your question - sorry I can't answer it though!!! I'm sure Reinbeau or Steve can answer it!

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:weee

I just ordered from them, well the check is in the mail.... I posted in the veggie forum the list of what I ordered.

They're pretty close to me, so I'm thinking if THEY can grow that stuff, then so can I - we have the same sandy soil!

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, you're Zoned 4 Wildsky? I think their veggies will do good here as well. We have a mix of sandy, and clay soil, a river runs right along our property.
Would like to here how their veggies grow and maybe try some melons...I never imagined being able to grow melons here, but they seem to be able to. :)

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That what the map said 4b - all I know is its COLD ! :gig

I'll be happy if I make up enough veggies to cover the cost of the order - which shouldn't be too difficult.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Angie, you are in the same state with 3 fine seed companies:

Fedco in Waterville
Johnny's in Winslow
Pinetree in New Gloucester

Fedco & Johnny's, I guess, are just on opposite sides of the Kennebec River. Pinetree is near the coast. Why don't you think about stopping by one or more of these outfits?

Steve

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I didn't know that Steve, thanks so much! I've always just bought started plants at a local farm, this will be my first year attempting a big garden and from seeds, too. New Gloucester is right down the road from me, I will definitely check them out.
:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pinetree has good service and probably a real high rating with customers, Angie. Some of the best things about them is that they have a wide selection, small packets but low prices. I can't order much from them because I have a big garden but for those with smaller diggin's, the small amounts at low-cost can mean lots of varieties in the garden.

Their catalog is faaaar from flashy but that probably means that you aren't paying much for it in hidden costs.

Here's their website.

S'

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
As soon as you posted that list, Steve, I Googled Pinetree and have put in an order. :D You're right, great selection and very low prices. I'm very excited to start a garden!
:tools

GREEN GLOBE IMPROVED ARTICHOKE
DILLS ATLANTIC GIANT Pumpkin
SPIRIT PUMPKIN
PASSPORT MELON
RUEGEN STRAWBERRY
CASCADIA SNAP PEA
PACKMAN BROCCOLI
SPACE SPINACH
SUPER SUGAR SNAP PEA
THAI NIPPON TAKA PEPPER
CAYENNE-LONG PEPPER
KALEIDOSCOPE MIX PEPPER
TENDERGREEN IMPROVED BEAN
PROVIDER BEAN
SWEET DIANE Watermelon
GENERAL LEE CUKE
HOMEMADE PICKLES CUCUMBER
JADE CROSS Brussels sprout
EARLY GIRL TOMATO
GARDENERS DELIGHT TOMATO

(Sorry for the caps, I'm not yelling, just copying and pasting)
Maybe a little ambitious, but DH and I have always wanted a big garden. We both had them as kids and can't wait!

Now only 4 1/2 months until it's frost free here. :th

So any advice on what I should start in the house and what I should put in the ground as seeds??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
oooooo, looks good!

I'm not yellin' either - just copying & pasting:

ARTICHOKEs - haven't had 'em but I'd bet they'd grow on Maine coast.

Indoors:

PEPPERs - need a good head start - 8 weeks & maybe longer before setting out.
TOMATOes - 6 weeks for sure, you can go much longer if they can get sufficient light and you are willing to keep transplanting them into larger pots. Ya' just gotta run out of indoor space pretty quickly, tho'.
BROCCOLI - start about 6 weeks before setting out.
Brussels sprouts - never grown them (shudder!) but they must be about the same as broccoli.
MELONs - I start indoors but you may not need to. They only need about 4 weeks. Be very careful about disturbing their roots - peat pots may be best for 'em.
CUCUMBER - I've started 'em indoors but they're like the melons and can't stay in there very long. Probably, indoor planting isnt really worth bothering with since they produce earlier than melons, anyway.

STRAWBERRies - hey, I've grown alpine strawberries from seed! Super easy, I was surprised.

Outdoors:

> very early, a couple weeks before last frost even:
SPINACH, try planting every few weeks. Near the coast, I bet you can start spinach right thru the growing season!
SNAP PEAs try sowing at least twice and you may want to plant em again about the 1st of August. Snow peas would be a better choice for Fall just because they are a little quicker in that you're harvesting the pods before they fill out.

> after all danger of frost has passed:
PUMPKINs
CUCUMBERs
BEANs

Have fun!

Steve