Sandy, Predicted

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw one news story showing them using backhoes (errr...not a backhoe, but a thing with a bucket like on a tractor...brain not working right now!) to pile hills of sand up along a beachline.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like the AC boardwalk is gone now. It is getting dark and really windy here. We still have electric (and hope it doesn't go out, worried about my fish and reptiles) but it is out in some surrounding areas.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine in the eastern WV mountains says her power is out already. Our winds are picking up, gusty, but aren't supposed to peak until 2am or so.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot more than this Cape May coffee shop went under water today:

Cape95May95coffee95shop.jpg

I am afraid that the South Jersey Shore won't be looking too good in the news pictures, tomorrow morning.

Try to stay safe, those of you in the path of this storm. It is hard for us to know what is going on in your neighborhoods by watching the teevee. It seems that 99% of the news is NYC! I'm going to look for reporters on Twitter, where, in Wheeling? Pittsburgh?

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm all the way over here in Indiana and we have high winds. At about 4:30 AM one of our very big oak trees came down back behind the barn. It shook the house and the windows rattled. Next year's firewood.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a thaught... Instead of turning a big Oak tree into firewood, I would sell it to a lumber company who will sell the processed wood to furniture / cabinet makers. :caf

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We made out well here. Lost power for 18 hours, had to fix the cows electiric fence, fix the chicken run where a tree had fallen on both and had to put down one turkey hen that apparently got beat up last night. :( Other than that, we made out well. Hope everyone else did too!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
SHF, I don't know that you are out of the woods, yet.

Sandygif2-1.gif

This is the most recent Pressures & Fronts through day 7, from the Weather Service.

It is a bit different from 4 days ago. At that time, the WS seemed to be predicting that Maine would get a backhand slap from Sandy as she, more or less, exited the scenes of destruction.

At that time, there were some models that showed the storm would go almost directly north of where it is today. It seems like that might be what happens in this WS image . . . Things seem to get kind of confused once the center of the storm drifts over Lake Ontario. Does it continue, pretty much, due north or does it cross the Saint Lawrence River and drift back towards Maine?

I think they aren't quite sure . . . .

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope everyone made out well after this storm :hugs !! The biggest thing here was the high wind!! It knocked down all my collard greens but thankfully none broke I just had to pick them back up and stake them. Power was lost too for a few hours. I'm sure it could of been a lot worse than it has.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
SHF, I don't know that you are out of the woods, yet.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/Sandygif2-1.gif

This is the most recent Pressures & Fronts through day 7, from the Weather Service.

It is a bit different from 4 days ago. At that time, the WS seemed to be predicting that Maine would get a backhand slap from Sandy as she, more or less, exited the scenes of destruction.

At that time, there were some models that showed the storm would go almost directly north of where it is today. It seems like that might be what happens in this WS image . . . Things seem to get kind of confused once the center of the storm drifts over Lake Ontario. Does it continue, pretty much, due north or does it cross the Saint Lawrence River and drift back towards Maine?

I think they aren't quite sure . . . .

Steve
oooo....Welll...I guess we will just have to wait and see. I have found most things in life I can't control. Just roll with it. I came to work late today once the power came on and I didn't have to babysit the generator. I look like garbage and I smell like a barn. I bet they are all happy that I came in! :lol: