Santa Delivered

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you deliver for 2023?

zbullseye.png

What are you doing to stay in shape through the long months of the off-season?

I first used that Santa Delivered title during the 2015-'16 Winter. That may have been when I started the Indoor Mile walk with appropriate arm waving to achieve a pulse about 100/minute for 30 minutes. The First Thing TEG members responded with was that they don't make New Years resolutions. Well, I don't either. But, we need Winter exercise, don't we?

So, I've continued the 30 minute walking and Arm Waving. I'll even do it in the Summer when I haven't been out in the garden or yard doing some actual Work. It's either Work or 30 minutes of exercise and I'm fairly good about doing one or the other everyday. Yes! The Heart Association and others tell us that we should exercise for 30 minutes, at least, 5 times a week. And, that makes me think that it's important. Boring in reality ... but, important.

:D Steve
who actually looks forward to having some Winter snow to shovel

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My twice-a-week yoga and daily dog walks are all I do right now. Really need to get back to the gym. During hot weather, when it was so dry, I would get out at 6:00 am or so, before traffic started on the dusty gravel road that we walk on. Now, with all the rain, I just do it when I can dodge raindrops.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i also look forwards to snow shovelling as it is outside and fresh air.

indoors i do some mild stuff but it usually isn't enough and i'd like to do more but i never hardly ever get around to it.

20-30 deep knee bends several times a week and some crunches or curls or something that moves my gut and then some other back exercises to stretch out my back and keep it limber. those would be admirable goals. the first one i'm close to doing anyways as i figured that it would help keep my knees moving and my legs stronger since i had so much going on this past fall with the up and down the ladder stuff i might as well try to keep some of those muscles as long as i can. :) the rest is probably a bit of a pipe dream... we'll see, the year is young... :)

i weighed in at 168 lbs yesterday so i'm not too far out of whack (my low was 165 lbs i think about five weeks ago) from the holiday season. this year at least i'm still looking at the scale once in a while. a few years ago i knew i was being bad and didn't look at the scale at all for a few months it seemed and yes i did put on the weight. so i'm almost back to there now at last and am going to fight harder (at keeping my pie hole a bit more shut :) ) this winter to keep it more in line. today we'll be having lunch with my brother here so it will be the first challenge. smaller portions, etc.

good luck everyone! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walking is straight forward, so to speak ;).

I can't pick up enough speed to raise the heart rate sufficiently simply walking so I lift the arms above the head every 4 steps. It's sort of a jumping jacks move. Four of those overheads on a "round trip" are replaced by a rowing move. The shoulders benefit from their 30 minutes.

I have to try to keep myself somewhat relaxed during this time. Keep in mind that that these are days when the only other exercises might be chopping some veggies on the cutting board 🙄 . My back muscles may tighten unless my gait is as smooth and rhythmic as I can maintain.

Still, I have to push myself. Not only to do it but to maintain a reasonable speed. Wintertime, the clock pushes me because it's boring but I can look out the window each time I cross homeplate and see several miles distant if I get myself up outta the lazyboy before these dang, early sunsets.

Steve

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had some setbacks recently (a major one a few months ago) and I'm working (again) to build my stamina up. So for me that means a clock timer that goes off to remind me to walk around for a certain amount of time. Gradually increasing the time being active.

Without the timer I tend to get engrossed in what I'm doing - right now that's cleaning up gardening files and learning the intricacies of Dwarf Fortress. 😆

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get exercise at work planting plots, walking plots, digging roots, walking/inspecting fields and moving 50# bags of seed around. Maybe I should call it “natural work out” and charge people to help? Just let them think it’s a useless activity and they will be all in.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I work out 5 days a week! :) I lift weights 3 days a week and run 2 days a week. In the summer I run spartan races.
That's amazing! Good for you! I used to do so much, swimming laps on lunch breaks, multiple kilometre walks with weighted ankles, Tracy Anderson workout videos every day, weights, asanas etc. 14 years into motherhood and some days just remaining upright for 15 hours seems an accompishment! :lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have to take care of my horses DAILY, which is mostly 1 hr of cleaning stalls, and always filling water buckets and putting out their hay and sweet feed, hay in the shelter manger and stalls, the rest in the stalls, so a minimum of 20 minutes/day.
I also clean up the house.
I go to the small (and safe) gym with 2 DD's 2x/week, 2x stretching, 15, 10, 8, 5 leg press, then 1 hr on the treadmill.
I stopped counting steps.
DH, THANKFULLY, heard from his new GP, who wants him to have 8K steps/day.
Now he will get up and let the dogs out for me.
Good start to 2023.

Latest posts